Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Blind Musicians

Fred_C

Gents,

I am watching American Idol on TV.

One of the people auditioning was a young blind country singer/guitarist. He had a decent voice for country and his guitar sound was outstanding. Although he was just strumming chords, his choice of changes was truly excellent. He sang "Proud Mary" and his unique, yet totally appropriate harmonic choices made the song new, fresh and exciting. Also, hearkening back to an earlier thread, both Keith Urban and Harry Connick, Jr. commented on the fact that he sounded unique and how important it was to "Sound Like You".

I'm certain that you gents have noticed how incredibly good blind musicians are in general. It must be that (in addition to probably limitless hours of practice) their sense of touch, and hearing must be heightened to compensate for their lack of sight.

Do you guys have any insights into this topic?

If you play cool, you are cool.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have always been impressed with the blind musicians from Ray Charles, to Jose Feliciano and any others that I have seen on TV.

They have the time and they must have sharpened senses of pitch and distance. I was always impressed with Feliciano, he would move around that neck and nail those chords and single note runs even if they were 3/4ths of the fretboard away from where he started. How he did that is beyond me.

+1 I was going to mention them both too! Jose is a great guitar man and a great singer. Ray Charles is my all time favorite. I love the way he does [his] rendition of any cover tune and I prefer his versions every time. He had heart and soul with a ton of mojo! He still makes my senses come alive whenever I hear him... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I am reluctant to say that anyone is fantastic because they are blind. I mean, there`s no way to know but I believe that the people mentioned would still be great if they could see.

If you want to hear how fast I can turn down an offer, tell me I can become a world famous musician if I give up my eyesight.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Well, I knew a blind guy who COULDN'T carry a tune, or even WHISTLE!

MY guess is that those with the talent also had no distractions, so they accomplished more with practice. Or perhaps, somewhere deep inside, they felt they had more to prove. Can't be sure.

Have to ask George Shearing or Joe Morello.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I am reluctant to say that anyone is fantastic because they are blind. I mean, there`s no way to know but I believe that the people mentioned would still be great if they could see.

If you want to hear how fast I can turn down an offer, tell me I can become a world famous musician if I give up my eyesight.

+1 I think they really enjoy the sound of the audience appreciation even though they can't see them, they can feel them. I think they would have been just as great (maybe even more so) if they could see too! :2thu:

Take care, Larryz

Being blind severely limits one's ability to partake in most of the hobbies or pastimes that others enjoy. Music is one of the very few endeavors where blind people have a somewhat level playing field with sighted people.

It then stands to reason that many blind people that gravitate towards music will also spend far more time listening, playing, and learning music than people who can see. The 10,000 hour "rule" becomes far easier to accomplish when your other options are so limited.

That's why I close my eyes for solos :D

But seriously - there are far less distractions when you take sight out of the equation. When I close my eyes while playing I can "see" (in my minds eye) the fretboard and where my fingers are much better - I can "see" and feel the notes I want to hit.

The point about senses being heightened is very true. But there are plenty of blind people that have little or no sense of music - if you combine blindness with natural talent - something special happens.

I knew a blind sculptor when I lived in Colorado - he would feel with his hands a persons face, head etc and it was uncanny how precise and accurate his sculptures were.

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

That's why I close my eyes for solos :D

But seriously - there are far less distractions when you take sight out of the equation. When I close my eyes while playing I can "see" (in my minds eye) the fretboard and where my fingers are much better - I can "see" and feel the notes I want to hit.

The point about senses being heightened is very true. But there are plenty of blind people that have little or no sense of music - if you combine blindness with natural talent - something special happens.

I knew a blind sculptor when I lived in Colorado - he would feel with his hands a persons face, head etc and it was uncanny how precise and accurate his sculptures were.

Partial +1. I often close my eyes when soloing over blues changes or when playing acoustic Travis style. But, when playing Chord Melody, my eyes are glued to the fretboard. It's just too complex. Maybe someday...

If you play cool, you are cool.

Last October, I went ziplining with my friend and her two daughters. The place we went had a ziplining course out in the woods, and we went at night. Since it was rather dark out there, given the absence of electricity, when you went flying down that cable, you relied more on your sense of feel instead of sight. I could feel the rush of the air and the vibrations from the pulley a lot more, because all I could see was shadows and darkness. I imagine the same thing goes for playing music. You rely on your sense of feel much more when your sense of sight is taken away.
I rock; therefore, I am.

I`m more fluid when I close my eyes but I also make more mistakes. that`s fine for an informal jam, but otherwise unacceptable.

Well... I think if you rely on your senses more (as stated previously in this thread) the mistakes will become less and less frequent until you don't really need the visual reinforcement.

Ain't nothing wrong with looking at the fretboard - I do it often - but if you don't have to it frees you up - it's better to have it as an option rather than a necessity - IMHO

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

I don`t know if it`s relying on senses so much, as hearing where you want to go musically before you play it. Many people think in patterns on the fretboard, I think it`s part of the leaning curve. Ideally you want to get past that and create melodies/harmonies in your mind-then your fingers will naturally follow. of course it`s easy to say that.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Archived