Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Notation app for IOS with midi input?

analogholic

OK,

So I want to improve my embarrasingly bad reading/writing ability.

Problem was always that it was very easy for me to pick up and play all sorts of difficult rhythms and syncopations BUT it was very hard for me to translate them into notation. Even easy ones.

So I want to find an app that lets me input midi which would be translated into notation.

Any suggestions?

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An old version of Band in a Box or Power Tracks Pro Audio is not bad either. You can buy it for cheap. Actually I have 2006 or 7 on DVD around here somewhere. PM me if you're interested, I'll make you a deal you can't refuse...

There were no authorization codes until 2014 so any old version will also qualify you for the upgrade discount to the latest version. PG Music just extended their sale until Jan 15 so if you have any interest at all, now is the time.

The notation is weak if you're trying to create full band charts with 1st/2nd endings, coda signs, tags and all that. It will do it but the print out isn't that great. But for basic notation from a midi file it's very good, the printed chart looks great and it has a midi chord wizard that gives you a good guess as to what the chords are too which you can easily edit. Overall Biab's notation is more powerful than people think plus you can have fun with the program itself. An old midi only version is still nice if you have a decent synth to play it through.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

I wrote a musical a while back with a playwright. He did the lyrics, I composed the music. I needed to print some sheet music for the (thankfully small) band, so I did the live notation thing and worked with the guitarist (a music major) to make sure what was on the page matched what was supposed to be being played.

So my suggestion is: after you get some music printed, have someone good at sight reading give it a couple run-thrus and see how it compares to what you were expecting.

Archived