Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tweed, Snakeskin, or Country Western???

Paul K

Tweed, Snakeskin, or Country Western?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Tweed, Snakeskin, or Country Western?

Ladies and Gentlemen;

So I've unloaded some unused gear on Craigslist. The '87 Carvin DC200, Mackie SRM150, and a strat-style raw neck are no longer living at my house. Gonna buy the Carvin amp... this one: http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/AG300

It's the 3 channel with effects version of the bass combo. It'll work with low and mid (with an additional speaker) volume bass gigs, and for my solo guitar and singing gigs. Multi-tasking is what it's about.

But what color tolex should I get? Not a solid color, as the patterns should hide road rash better. So it's between Tweed, Snakeskin, or Country Western (well...brown).

I hope I can make this Poll Manager thing happen.

Peace

Paul K

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've actually been considering the 2-10 combo and since they were offering this option at no cost I gave it some consideration myself.

As much as I am NOT country western, I think that looks pretty damn sharp. Tweed looks cool but I can see it looking dirty fairly quick. Snake Skin is OK if you are strictly an 80's hair band.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

I can't say that I'm a Carvin fan. And a lot of that is associated with their direct to consumer model. The lack of availability of their product for musicians to demo before purchasing is a dealbreaker for me. As such, I've looked at them as the Amway of musical gear.

I know that someone will bring up their return policies. And lenient return policies are all well and good. But I think when you're talking about something like a musical instrument or amp that in person demo experience is very important.

If you are determined to get this Carvin amp? I would go with either the Tweed or the Country / Western. No offense, but the snakeskin would make you look a bit like a tool.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

determined

I do understand and somewhat agree with your analysis of the business model. However, most of the gear that I buy are niche items. Fretless basses, headless guitars, flatwound single strings to create my own 12-string gauge, nylon tapewound bass strings with a damn high C string, one particular mic model. Local and non-local (Hour or two away) don't have what I want so I'm always doing mail order or ebay anyway.

That, and in this case there's nothing else on the market like it: three channel, two built in effects engines, phantom power, and still bass friendly at 31 lbs. It's only missing a built-in chromatic tuner. I adore just a touch of reverb and chorus on bass-- so no damn footpedal needed. Just plug and play for at least 90% of my gigs (with an extra speaker that I already own), at 1/4 or less than the price of the Bose unit....... and easier to transport than the Bose unit. (Unless I'm overlooking someone else's product?) Mix in some good luck that I've had with other Carvin products, and they should put me on the payroll.

That, and Carvin finally shitcanned the million-band equalizer. I hate those things.

I'm going to call when I order and see if they will swap the speaker to the neo one for an upcharge. That'd be cool. Worth a shot, no?

I hear ya Nick but I would get a snakeskin combo because it's silly rather than cool.

Personally I would go for black or another solid color like dark red or dark green tolex. Given the three choices above I'd take snakeskin.

I'd go all 11th Doctor on 'em, "It's snakeskin. I have a snakeskin combo now. Snakeskin is cool."

Push the button Frank.

That grill cloth is cool. Got me thinking (I know..."danger") The grill on the Carvin is metal. But my Linda is talented and crafty with a paint brush.......

The real question is, why isn't red fur an option?

http://hymiesrecords.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/murph-and-the-magic-tones.jpg

This.

Simply because Duck Dunn and Steve Cropper are both in the photo.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

There's just something classy about tweed.

Agreed - it's timeless and will never go out of style.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Tweed for Class

Snakeskin for Flash

So originally I was going to just order the winner of the poll. But this post made sense. I want people to look at me, damn it, not the amp.

Tweed it is.

I see the word "snakeskin" and it flashes me back to the plinky-shredder time of ridiculously loud guitar amp stacks like this one:

http://www.stage-master.net/ufiles/P1130512.JPG

I absolutely love snakeskin, but the amps in this picture look...kinda weird.

Could you post samples of what each option would look like on the finished product?

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

The snakeskin looks like the Soldano's snakeskin, near as I can figure.

So Tweed. And dig this: The guy on the phone let me do the neo speaker upgrade for the price difference on the raw speakers, and was able to swap the damn footswitch that I'll never use for an amp cover. Free shipping. Done in 5 minutes.

Yes, you can expect a review, but it'll take awhile with the holidays and all. I'll even post a pic even though it's not a fish.

Rock on

Paul K

• 2 weeks later...

So. It came today. Tweed was a good choice. The Neo speaker knocked three lbs or so off; I was expecting a little more, but that is what the bathroom scale said. Fat content, water content, and bone density came up "error" because I left my shoes on.

Keep in mind this is an initial gig-free opinion. Bass sounds good, better/bigger when I add another 12". Plenty of headroom, and was enough to annoy my spouse. It was easy to dial in the right amount of chorus and reverb--just a touch. Big and ballsy, the room rattled before the amp did. Flat settings on EQ. Nitch filled. The "bass only" version of the cabinet would prove to be a righteous little fella, but for "bass only" application I'd probably prefer the 15" version which is also $30 cheaper than the 3-way 12" version.

For guitars and vocals:

The controls for the FX don't have detentes, but I knew that from previous experience with my powered mixer. Lucky for me the levels that I like for guitar involve one knob at 12 o'clock, and one at 3 o'clock. For vocals, both knobs at 12 o'clock. Easy to remember. Not enough data on vocals, but for guitars I had to scoop out a whole bunch of mid. I was a little surprised about that, but I also didn't have my usual stomp box in the chain which was one of my goals. With the mids scooped, my Univox Coily sounded totally divine. The 12 string needs more tweaking, might need more chorus. But my 12 has a piezo pickup without an on-board preamp, so it takes a little more work to make it right. Vocals was hard to assess because I didn't set up a little stage in the living room; I won't really have an opinion till it's set up like for gig.

The power cord has a little lock on it to prevent it from accidentally being pulled out. That sounds to me like a solution looking for a problem. I've never had one pull out, and if I did I'd rather the cord separate from the amp before everything tips over. But when plugging it in you get the reassuring little 'click' to let you know it's in. "BFD", right? All the control knobs are recessed into the panel so they don't stick out. Nice touch. The amp cover rocks, and I'm glad I got it instead of the "free" goddamn foot switch. No need for me to turn the reverb on and off during a gig. It also does mount on a pole (bass version does not, and would not...) I'm considering experimenting with turning the amp upside down so the top hat is on the up-side, and getting a pole to mount the external speaker on it instead of carting around a speaker stand. Downside is that it'd be hard to get at the controls, as they'd be on the side of the amp kinda down low and hard to reach. It might work if the whole thing is placed on a short table. Might be too top-heavy. We'll see.

The knobs are kinda close together and hard to see which one is what especially since the panel is recessed. I expect I'll modify the preamp volume knobs with either new colored knobs or some artistic application of red finger nail polish so it's easier to grab the right knot in a pinch. I will use the little light that I have that plugs into the USB port, but it's real hard to see.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. So far.

On the bass front: remember that fretless Jazz I put together from eBay wood and the hardware from the boutique bass deal that went sour? It rocked, but was heavy as sin. I had a buddy rout out the back of the body, and when I put it back together it will be without the metal neckplate and metal control cover. I'm ditching the tone control also because that stays dimed all the time anyway. As like the Chick Corea & Return To Forever album, it's light as a feather. Pics when it's put back together. Might be awhile, though.....Holidays and some R&R is scheduled.

Rock on

Paul K

Archived