Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Columns for a Soloist

DXProSound

Columns?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Columns?

Started doing some very casual dinner gigs. I'm really tired of setting up gear. I've got a Yamaha P105 and a Shure Beta 58. Been thinking about columns. Any thoughts on a Bose L1 Compact? Has anyone heard the new Fender Expo? Thanks
It doesn't need to be loud to be good but if it's good it needs to be loud.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't heard the Fender.

My opinion of Bose is that they take the money that they should be using for R&D and engineering, and put it into advertising and litigation.

I am not a fan.

I understand that setting up and breaking down can be a PITA, but I think it's the price you have to pay for good sound.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

Sorry, I've never used a column type speaker. I'm a bit surprised that no-one else has chipped in before now, we're generally a fairly opinionated bunch on here :laugh:

Maybe leave it a few more days, and hopefully, you'll get some answers.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

I auditioned an L1 at my local music store, specifically using a piano. I admit it is not the best place to audition speakers, but I like the way it sounds.

For a solo gig, it has plenty of nice clean volume. I've heard that it cannot put out enough volume for a loud rock band, but nothing you can carry easily will do that.

J.S. Bach Well Tempered Klavier

The collected works of Scott Joplin

Ray Charles Genius plus Soul

Charlie Parker Omnibook

Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Weather Report Mr. Gone

I recently did a duo gig with a guitarist playing to tracks that he created (very Pat Methanyish) and my Krome 88, his hollow body guitar and recorded drums, bass, etc. all played through his Bose L1 Compact. It was a fairly large room, although we weren't expected to try to fill the entire space. I was very impressed at how good everything sounded, and how easy the L1 was to set up, and how light it is. Competing with live drums, guitar and bass amps in a higher volume setting, the L1 may not have cut it, but in the right setting, I think it does a very good job.

Of course there is also the Space Station being talked about in another thread. I have the SS version 2 and it is pretty cool. Even easier to set up than the L1 and it accepts a stereo signal to create a quasi stereo sound field from a single cabinet. Of course you would have to carry a small mixer if you will be using more than one keyboard or need a microphone, but that's not a big deal.

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

Archived