Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What is everyone using for reverb?

02R96

I'm in the "don't use it" camp, unless I apply it as an effect for a specific thing... The reverb on the AC15CC I gig most with these days is crap, or just too severe... A $30 replacement would improve it, but it's not a priority. But I never really turn it up past one on amps with good reverb, unless it's a surf or rockabilly thing I'm after. Come to think of it, that's because the other guitarists I play with use so much of it. I do use slapback delay and delay+chorus a lot, though.

I do have an EH Holier Grail for recording.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oops! Sorry, I replied above to the initial Topic-Title "What is everyone using for reverb?"-part, without noting or considering the

So with a budget of around $125 to $150 what are my choices of a "quality" pedal? I'd like the options of plate, room, tile, etc.

part... :blush::crazy: My replies don't exactly address that, huh?! :facepalm::D

I'm in the "don't use it" camp, unless I apply it as an effect for a specific thing... The reverb on the AC15CC I gig most with these days is crap, or just too severe... A $30 replacement would improve it...

What $30 improvement is that, p90jr?

Is the reverb on that amp tube driven? Spring?

If so, you might be able to tame and temper it more to your liking by trying different tubes for the reverb driver or driver/recovery duties. I have a 12AX7 in the reverb-socket of my Carvin Vintage 33 that is less gainy, strong and bright than some, which results in a little less "dwell" (reverb decay time) and a warmer, smoother reverb sound than some other tubes that I've had in that socket. I left in this tube, which some might deem 'inferior', as I liked the sound it gives that amp's reverb, and I use said reverb to fatten, warm, and smooth the overall tone, besides the reverb-effect itself. Try a few different tubes there (if your amp does use tubes for reverb drive and/or recovery); "YYMV".

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I'm in the "don't use it" camp, unless I apply it as an effect for a specific thing... The reverb on the AC15CC I gig most with these days is crap, or just too severe... A $30 replacement would improve it...

What $30 improvement is that, p90jr?

Is the reverb on that amp tube driven? Spring?

If so, you might be able to tame and temper it more to your liking by trying different tubes for the reverb driver or driver/recovery duties. I have a 12AX7 in the reverb-socket of my Carvin Vintage 33 that is less gainy, strong and bright than some, which results in a little less "dwell" (reverb decay time) and a warmer, smoother reverb sound than some other tubes that I've had in that socket. I left in this tube, which some might deem 'inferior', as I liked the sound it gives that amp's reverb, and I use said reverb to fatten, warm, and smooth the overall tone, besides the reverb-effect itself. Try a few different tubes there (if your amp does use tubes for reverb drive and/or recovery); "YYMV".

A better MOD or Accutronics reverb tank that most people recommend dropping in the amp as a replacement runs between $20-30.

I know a few people who like the stock reverb tank... but most hate it. It's just too "much" for my tastes... way too deep and drastic, and then I think it kind of sounds bad on top of that... I like the reverb on the AC30 CC I have just fine.

But yeah, if I do swap a tank, perhaps the tube that's driving it should be a consideration, too.

Archived