Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

AES Los Angeles 2014 Reports

Geoff Grace

As many of you know, the 137th AES Convention will take place October 9-12 in Los Angeles at the Los Angeles Convention Center. (Conferences begin on Thursday and exhibits open on Friday.)

While AES conventions seldom offer keyboard news, they often feature releases of products that are important to us like DAWs, plug-ins, and audio equipment.

Please post your AES Los Angeles 2014 reports here, for forum members who are not fortunate enough to go to the show.

Feel free to discuss AES announced gear, events, and performances in this thread.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the hit of the show for me so far:

Slate Media Technology Batch Commander lets you use single clicks to execute up to 1000 key commands, menu selections and mouse clicks. Features include converting all your MIDI tracks to audio tracks or audio to MIDI using one button, batch consolidating, exporting, and naming your tracks, applying your favorite chain of plugins to multiple tracks with one button, and much more.

Batch Commander is currently only compatible with Pro Tools, but future compatibility is planned with Logic Pro X, Ableton Live, Digital Performer, Cubase, Nuendo and more. Available now for $99.00 US.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iukHpGyd_1E

Best,

Geoff

Slate Media Technology Batch Commander lets you use single clicks to execute up to 1000 key commands, menu selections and mouse clicks. Features include converting all your MIDI tracks to audio tracks or audio to MIDI using one button, batch consolidating, exporting, and naming your tracks, applying your favorite chain of plugins to multiple tracks with one button, and much more.

Batch Commander is currently only compatible with Pro Tools, but future compatibility is planned with Logic Pro X, Ableton Live, Digital Performer, Cubase, Nuendo and more. Available now for $99.00 US.

Best,

Geoff

I've been trying out BC with mixed results. I'm attempting to duplicate some of my editing workflow when dealing with samples. It appears the product can do a select number of things and you can customize those. If you can reproduce what you need to do via Protools key commands then the product is great. But I need to access certain AudioSuite plugs and apply them in a specific manner. It doesn't appear to be flexible enough to do this, although I could easily be missing the proper way to pull this off. I did have one crash. It's a separate application from Protools, so a crash does not affect Protools.

Anyhow, time will tell.

Thanks for the post.

Busch.

Other than that, today's personal highlights include meeting Ted Keffalo of Equator Audio, a presentation by Yamaha/Steinberg on Dante/ network audio, and meeting a fellow Dutch-producer-turned-LA-resident.

I might come back tomorrow if there are more presentations or symposiums on audio over LAN.

The Werkstatt-Ø1 Moogfest 2014 Kit is now available worldwide.

[video:youtube]

Best,

Geoff

I messed around with this a bit. It was fun, very cool sounding, and sounded fantastic. The guy said that there would be ten or so mods, none of which required soldering, and would be posted on their site. And another one coming up will involve MIDI.

Best,

Geoff

I've been trying out BC with mixed results. I'm attempting to duplicate some of my editing workflow when dealing with samples. It appears the product can do a select number of things and you can customize those. If you can reproduce what you need to do via Protools key commands then the product is great. But I need to access certain AudioSuite plugs and apply them in a specific manner. It doesn't appear to be flexible enough to do this, although I could easily be missing the proper way to pull this off. I did have one crash. It's a separate application from Protools, so a crash does not affect Protools.

Anyhow, time will tell.

Thanks for the post.

Busch.

Thanks for posting your initial impressions, Busch! :thu:

Best,

Geoff

The Werkstatt-Ø1 Moogfest 2014 Kit is now available worldwide.

[video:youtube]

Best,

Geoff

I messed around with this a bit. It was fun, very cool sounding, and sounded fantastic. The guy said that there would be ten or so mods, none of which required soldering, and would be posted on their site. And another one coming up will involve MIDI.

That's good to know. Thanks, Ken! :cool:

Best,

Geoff

Avid Duet and Quartet now make Apogee's popular interfaces available for Windows Pro Tools users:

Thanks for the reports, Geoff.

I noticed something strange (to me) going through the specs on the website:

"Power:USB bus-powered on Mac; DC power supply included for PC use "

One of the biggest reasons I'm shopping for a USB interface is that it would eliminate the wall-wart my Firewire interface needs. Oh well...

... also, I wasn't aware that Macs and PCs differ in the power supplied through USB.

I don't know of many other USB interfaces that don't get enough power from a regular PC USB port. Potential deal-breaker for many live users. Such a compact, elegant, stageworthy form, and yet needs a messy wall-wart. :razz:

- Guru

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

Archived