Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Y'all listen to "Snarky Puppy" ?

Jazz+

Famous quote:

"Opinions are like a$$holes, everybody has one."

That. Horses for courses.

Me, I had no idea that jazz had "taste rules" that were to be Obeyed At All Costs, including the cost of self-expression. And I've listened to a lot of it, some of which obeyed those rules only incidentallynot as though, say, Paul Gonsalves was thinking about any rules per se when he took 27-count 'em-twenty-fricking-seven choruses during the course of the Diminuendo/Crescendo In Blue medley at Newport in 1956, with no less than Duke Ellington leading the band.

So I guess the sax solo that starts at 6:30 here would probably be in equally bad taste.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InEAjJphrgk

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Watched an interview where Mike talks about how being introduced to the jazz scene in Dallas (where he met gospel based players like Shaun Martin, etc...) completely change the band's feel. Pretty interesting, especially when you compare the "before" and "after" albums.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

Yea. I love that stuff. One thing I love about Floyd, jam bands , jazz, love the FLECKTONES!, is the "exploring" sense they bring to the table. Unexpected turns and pushing beyond. :thu: .

I listened to a full album of S.P. on the ytube during my soak last night. What I really dig is their rhythm section and total diversity between songs. . I don't know if it was before or after the gospel player joined. What was the first album name after he joined and I'll check it.

"A good mix is subjective to one's cilia." http://hitnmiss.yolasite.com

Watched an interview where Mike talks about how being introduced to the jazz scene in Dallas (where he met gospel based players like Shaun Martin, etc...) completely change the band's feel. Pretty interesting, especially when you compare the "before" and "after" albums.

Can we see video examples of before and after?

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Archived