Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha DJX - Any Love?

I just got this for $75 . So far I find it to be somewhere in between a dance/techno toy and a serious 2nd or 3rd board for pads and synth leads. And closer to the latter. This is the mark 1 version with like 3 seconds of sampling.

FunMachine.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had the DJXii for about 11-12 years. I had never heard of it, but my wife picked it up as a surprise way back when.

It's a lot of fun with some really usable sounds and rhythms.

and good for learning how to build up layers of percussion / instrumental tracks. My 10 year old loves it.

http://oi57.tinypic.com/bewpj9.jpg

Yeah the Djx2 was a downgrade from the Djx1 according to discussions at sonic state. Although both could be accused of being toys a lot of users at sonic state are hanging on to their Djx1 and using them alongside their tritons and more pricier boards. I'm not claiming mines a korg triton killer but I will say the things got a heart of a big dog in a little dog package.

FunMachine.

Yeah the Djx2 was a downgrade from the Djx1 according to discussions at sonic state.

Yes.. the biggest downgrade was the MIDI OUT capabilities (or lack thereof) of the 2. If you want to do any MIDI sync it needs to be the last KB in the chain.

• 3 years later...

Resurrecting this thread for two reasons:

(1) I recently picked up one of these (the original blue DJX). It is a ton of fun. A cult classic keyboard that can be picked up super cheap because they're viewed as just another old consumer-grade home keyboard. But there is a lot under the hood and the user interface has an easy learning curve.

(2) In searching for online videos, I found this guy who makes some Keith-Emerson-inspired use of duct tape and clothes pins to establish his arpeggios. Enjoy!

[video:youtube]

Archived