Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Trying to understand "A-weighted" S/N ratio

IE: 105dB S/N ratio (A-weighted) It seems A-Weighted is used as a standard. In one of my recording books it says the following: 64db Fair 74db Good 84db+ Excellent I tried searching for this info first through the forum/search engine anywhere. But I had some trouble... Came across something talking about manufactures using a weighted measurement to be the "best specs". Any and all light to be shed on this much appreciated. Links too if you've got 'em

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Weighting is a way to measure hiss and other noise while taking into account the audibility of the noise. It is well known that the ear is more sensitive to sounds in the midrange around 1-2 KHz. than it is to sounds at the low and high extremes. So when an audio device is measured for noise, an equalizer using the "A" weighting curve is inserted in series with the measuring device to reduce the highest and lowest frequencies. This makes the meter more accurately reflect how loud the noise will actually be heard. The "B" and "C" curves serve the same purpose but attenuate by different amounts. --Ethan

Interesting, so when it says 105dB S/N ratio (A-weighted) that is an excellent rating still? I think a SPL meter has these options on it right? I plan on buying one soon, a cheaper one, and thought I recall something about this too. Any links anyone? Thanks Ethan!

[b]Interesting, so when it says 105dB S/N ratio (A-weighted) that is an excellent rating still?[/b] Yes, that's a very good S/N ratio... it would be less if it was unweighted, but that's a very respectable figure. [b]I think a SPL meter has these options on it right? I plan on buying one soon, a cheaper one, and thought I recall something about this too.[/b] Cheapest SPL meter I know of is the Radio Shack units (about $50?). Yes, I believe they have both A and C weighted as selectable options on them. Phil O'Keefe Sound Sanctuary Recording Riverside CA http://www.ssrstudio.com pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com

Just to add a wrinkle, it's important to remember that audio measurements vary (sometimes widely) depending on how the tests were conducted, and with what tools. One person's/system's 105dB S/N is *not* necessarily another person's/system's 105dB S/N. Take it from a guy who spent just enough time with an Audio Precision system to be dangerous. Marv

Archived