Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Interesting CL find...

ArnoldLayne

If everyone here already knows about this, I apologize in advance and concede to village idiot, but I was completely unaware.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/msg/4438578072.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitorgan

I wasn't exactly sure which forum to post ;)

Prophet 6, '38 Hammond BC, HR40, 2 Leslie 760's, Prophet 08 PE, RD700GX, Ensoniq E-Prime, SCI Pro-One, TX-7, CP80, Arturia VI's

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my very first band, circa 1975, Joe the guitarist had a guitorgan. It went through a tiny rotating speaker system, maybe 8" square by 12" high.

It was an electric guitar packed with organ guts, weighting about 20 pounds, I think. It was a mid-1970s equivalent of layering an organ with a guitar, adding fullness in trio situations.

The equivalent of key presses was contact between the string and the fret, six-note polyphonic with top note (per string) priority. The frets were each divided into six separate contacts, one for each string. This made left-handed string stretching to raise pitch impossible.

You could also play open-string chords by pressing a small button with your left thumb, at the zeroth fret.

The lower four drawbars, and one other (maybe 2'; I forget), were provided. When you consider how much hammond voicing is 888 or 8888, that ain't a bad deal.

I played electric piano. Many patrons thought I was doing the organ parts.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

What a strange instrument!

[video:youtube]

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

What a strange instrument!

[video:youtube]

Pretty cool - in a Ventures, "Surf Music" sort of way.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

Archived