Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

DI box vs. small mixer

jstrauss

I'm only using a motif es8 right now live but may be adding another board to the rig at some point. When playing live I'm currently running a mic cable from my powered speaker to the FOH snake which has been working OK aside from not being able to change my monitor volume without effecting the signal level to FOH. I was thinking about adding a DI box or small mixer to the rig so I could control my monitor volume with impacting the FOH signal. I realize they serve 2 different purposes but I think each would accomplish what I'm trying to do. Any thoughts on which might be the better approach.

Thanks

Modx 8, Motif ES8, Novation Impulse 61, Mainstage3, Hammond M3, Farfisa VIP-255

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The advantage of a DI is that you get isolation from FOH, which will help eliminate ground loops and hum. The advantage of the mixer would come if you add to your rig, and also gives you the ability to get some gain if you need it...not to mention EQ, alternate routing with aux sends, etc. I suppose the ideal scenario would be a small mixer feeding a DI for FOH and aux send to your monitor.

Personally, I run into a Radial DI and use the "through" or "Loop" out to my monitor.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Archived