Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Digidesign has acquired the plug-in assets of Bomb Factory

Originally posted by schmoron13:

by the way, sounds like someone should contact the authorites (not sure who gets jurisdiction). I'm pretty sure it's illegal to knowingly spread a virus. I'd definitely like to nail this guy.

Me too!!!!!!

I've spent an awful amount of time restoring things here, just to be sure that everything is OK. Running tests confirms that there are no virii but it feels like my pc is behaving differently, some things run slower.

Erik knows what he is doing, he knows how to set things up. It is only fair that he gets what he deserves.

If I ever get the chance to get even, I will not think about it twice. :mad:

/Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phil, I'm absolutely certain you would never call me or any decent forum member an ass bro.

No problem! :idea:

Peace, Han

The alchemy of the masters moving molecules of air, we capture by moving particles of iron, so that the poetry of the ancients will echo into the future.

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

[QB Even with my parent's millions (which I do no tap into, although I am in the trust) [/QB]

If you need some help tapping into that trust, PM me... I think I could give you a hand... :thu:

Kris

My Band: http://www.fullblackout.com UPDATED!!! Fairly regularly these days...

http://www.logcabinmusic.com updated 11/9/04

Originally posted by sign:

I made a butt-load (of cash), and with my Millionaire fathers fortune and my Microsnot GUI royalties I will be retiring to Jamaca or the Caymen islands where I will no longer need to hassle 17 year old pirates

Then why did he bother with designing plugs in the first place? He could have saved himself and everyone a lot of trouble by going to Jamaica in the first place.Anyway,as much I'd like to think that post was his, I'd have to think it's the same troll posting at the UAD site,same exact style.Erik has link on his site to a studio he either owns or co-owns in LA ,so I doubt he's retiring anywhere.God I hate defending that moron,even when it's not him! :D
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Screw Gavilruk, he's a moron anyway and not worth discussing.

On the other hand:

Who the hell thinks it's reasonable to be running an Operating System which is so insecure that merely clicking an HTTP will install software without asking you?

That's fucking insane guys.

Originally posted by Sub-Zero:

Screw Gavilruk, he's a moron anyway and not worth discussing.

On the other hand:

Who the hell thinks it's reasonable to be running an Operating System which is so insecure that merely clicking an HTTP will install software without asking you?

That's fucking insane guys.

God damnit! :evil: How the hell can you seriously try and turn this into a pc bashing session? honestly, if I got a virus, from someone who helped write the freakin OS I was using, the last thing I'd want is someone pointing a finger saying: "serves you right for using this OS (be it os X, windows, linux, etc)." have some freaking compassion for these guys.

you're decontexualizing my point. Simply put, when someone gets hit with a virus, for whatever reason, it's insensitive at best, to gloat essentially say, "I told you so" for using a different OS than the one you prefer.

That being said, if Steve Jobbs, or any other high mac programmer decided to mess with you, I doubt there's much you could do.

Lastly, this is a rather isolated incident, and using it to bash an OS (and we know which one we're referring to) is analogous to saying that anyone who gets a different OS where one has to talk with someone from India for support (that thread on the first page ;) ) gets what's comming to them....it's just plain silly logic

It is well known that the 'OS in question' is highly insecure and susceptible to these problems. Your point would only be relevant if this were an isolated incident. It is not.

There is no way Steve Jobs (who is not a programmer) or anyone else could compromise the security of my machine in such a fashion. It simply isn't possible.

And this information is highly relevant to consider when deciding what platform you are going to use for important work.

ok this is turning into a mac vs pc war, which wasn't my point. IN fact, my whole argument was to NOT turn this thread into one. My final point is: what did your comments have to do with the original thread? Aside from saying, "pc sucks, go mac" I don't see any reason for you posting that comment..

It does not matter wether my computer sucks or not. We can agree that microsoft are bad, but it does not matter here.

Erik Gavriluk (or his stalker) posted a link to a site that screws with visitors computers, he did it knowingly and with intent, dammit! That is the issue here! (at least from my perspective)

It isn't legal and it isn't morally acceptable by any standard. He knew exactly what he was doing and that makes me mad as hell. People like that have no business using computers. Someone should give him the Kevin Mitnik treatment.

/Mats

OK, I said I'd shut up but one last thing.

The point is that it shouldn't be possible to do something like that in the first place. It's absurd. You should never have anything to fear from simply clicking a hyperlink.

My assertion has nothing to do with any particular OS, I would say the same thing about any OS that exhibited this behavior.

If you leave your front door open and go on vacation, can you fully blame those who rob your home? What they did was still wrong, but you have to take some responsibility as well.

Anyway, I am sorry for what you had to go through, and hope you get it straightened out with minimal grief.

I have 2 firewalls (one in my router, one in MS XP Home), PopUp Stopper, Norton Anti-Virus. My browser (Explorer) is set to the second highest security level. All of it is updated accordingly (checked daily by default).

What else is there I can do?

/Mats

Originally posted by Mats Olsson.:

I have 2 firewalls (one in my router, one in MS XP Home), PopUp Stopper, Norton Anti-Virus. My browser (Explorer) is set to the second highest security level. I run AdAware scans at least once a week. All of this is updated accordingly (checked daily by default).

/Mats

Originally posted by Mats Olsson.:

I have 2 firewalls (one in my router, one in MS XP Home), PopUp Stopper, Norton Anti-Virus. My browser (Explorer) is set to the second highest security level. All of it is updated accordingly (checked daily by default).

/Mats

Mats, don't even bother. I can already tell you what sub-zero will respond with: "it's insane that you'd go to all that trouble to protect yourself when at its core, windows is inherently flawed." :rolleyes:

bottom line, if someone with that amount of intimate knolwedge of an OS wants to harm you, there's really not much you can do to prevent it.

Mats, my son told me Mozilla isn't a good idea, it has destroyed a PC here.
The alchemy of the masters moving molecules of air, we capture by moving particles of iron, so that the poetry of the ancients will echo into the future.

There is no way Steve Jobs (who is not a programmer) or anyone else could compromise the security of my machine in such a fashion. It simply isn't possible.

Wow!!! Thats a bold statement!

The only reason that virus' arent an issue on Macs or Linux is because nobody gives a shit. The MAJORITY of computer users use pc's. So, if your a hacker and you want to do harm, your going to direct it at the biggest target. Pc's.

So, pull your head out of your ass and enjoy ALL FIVE pieces of Mac software.

Whats next? Chevy vs. Ford?

Fuckin' gradeschool bullshit.

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

Oh, and BTW...That post WAS NOT from Erik from Bomb Factory. That was a guy posing as him to make fun of him on the PSW's forum.

Look into it. See for yourselves.

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

Originally posted by Tenacious-Duhduh:

Oh, and BTW...That post WAS NOT from Erik from Bomb Factory.

Exactly,I tried to point that out earlier.It's the same moron who was infiltrating the UAD forums for the last few months.The dead give away was his inability to spell "Erik" properly.

And this information is highly relevant to consider when deciding what platform you are going to use for important work.

Anyone using a net connection on any OS and serious work deserves all the the down time they incur on both platforms as Iv'e witnessed personally.Chossing a DAW platform based on net performance speaks for itself. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Tenacious-Duhduh:

Wow!!! Thats a bold statement!

The only reason that virus' arent an issue on Macs or Linux is because nobody gives a shit. The MAJORITY of computer users use pc's. So, if your a hacker and you want to do harm, your going to direct it at the biggest target. Pc's.

So, pull your head out of your ass and enjoy ALL FIVE pieces of Mac software.

Whats next? Chevy vs. Ford?

Fuckin' gradeschool bullshit.

You're wrong, and you are reading my comments as something they are not. Guess what? I know what I'm talking about here. There is absolutely no way that an HTTP link can install a virus on my computer. Not a bold statement in the least. It is NOT POSSIBLE.

Sheesh, everyone thinks they are a damn computer expert because they know how to use a Web browser...

Archived