Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

today's tune: love & pride / Alana davis

d  halfnote

Beeen hearing this on the radio where I sometimes have breakfast.

Had me fooled for Norah Jones witht the lazy, swinging jazz vamptress vox but turns out to be a genetic doppleganger named Alana Davis.

"Love & Pride" / Alana Davis

Beyond that vocal & the funkadoscious bass-led break late in the track, dig the geetar ! Maybe coolest stuff since "Midnight At The Oasis" in terms of jazzy chantuese X gtr .

Anyone know who ?

d=halfnote

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very nice and mellow listening tune to have your morning coffee by. The guitar is very cool throughout playing all sorts of low volume fills as back up. I would have liked to hear them crank it up a bit during the lead break. It didn't dawn on me until about 3:35 that she sounds a whole lot like Aretha Franklin...cool! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Very nice groove.

I have to admit that I'm hearing more of an R&B (Aretha, Chaka Kahn, Macie Grey*) vibe than a jazz vibe. Just an opinion.

* I'm not sure how "Macie Grey" spells her name.

If you play cool, you are cool.

:cool: Nice rhythm-section work all-around, d; particularly dig the piano fills, etc.

Yeah, Fred, very Macy Gray in voice 'n' stylings, as well. And very tasty guitar fills.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

To me the somewhat swinging vocal feel as at the recurring musical phrase 1st heard at :38~42 ("The sweet child thinks he doesn't deserve me") & the line at

1:37~1:141 ("I know you think I'm weak but I'm not ashamed") & the overall lazy syncopation put it into the territory usually filled by Jones & Diana Krall & her vocal tinre is a dead ringer for Jones.

BTW, my fave fill = 1:01 ~ 1:02 , for it's absolutely wandering, undramatic effect.

d=halfnote

I wasn't sure if you were asking who did the guitar work on "Love and Pride" or "Midnight at The Oasis". So after a little research, found out it was a dude named AMOS GARRETT on "Midnight". Still don't know who in the other.

I can't say I liked the song. That sort of vocal style usually turns me off. I'd go with Aretha on Valium as a description. But on the plus side, it's very musically appealing. Well executed and skilled. And that there are newer artists coming onto the scene doing more challenging music rather than the "canned beats" we hear too much of is refreshing.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Sorry abt the unclear question there WFang.

I am indeed wondering abt the gtr on Davis's track.

Oh, & thanks for not pointing out that I mis-spelled "chanteuse".

:blush:

d=halfnote

Sorry, I would never mistake this for Norah. She gets way too much sleep for this kind of thing :D

But really-Norah is in an adjacent ballpark to my ears-too much articulation is exhibit A. I`m hearing a lot more Riki Lee Jones-in fact I hear her in most artists in this genre, only Aretha can plant her own flag. Joan Osbourne also comes to mind:

[video:youtube]

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

I like Joan's video. The background music reminds me of a fusion of Indian and Blue Grass. It's like she's taking a break from her job at the local diner to come in and sing lyrics "higher than the moon"... Cool! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Skip,

Not worth arguing the point---& hearing the track in a better environment did allow notice of some diffs such as Davis's slight lisp---but it sounded just like what I'd expect from NJ when I heard it at 1st...& still fits into her aural corral [don't ignore the pun :laugh: ] to me.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Davis's website abt the guitarist ID...but then I'm still waiting to hear back from Experience Hendrix abt questions re that funky-in-the-worst-sense Forever stamp.

Could be worse, though.

Like some, I could be impatiently waiting to hear back from GP editorial staff !

:bor:

d=halfnote

I know the feeling, d. I'm still waiting to get an estimate from my nephew, who does home improvement, on some work I wanted done on a house I lived in THREE HOUSES AGO!

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Skip,

Not worth arguing the point---& hearing the track in a better environment did allow notice of some diffs such as Davis's slight lisp---but it sounded just like what I'd expect from NJ when I heard it at 1st...& still fits into her aural corral [don't ignore the pun :laugh: ] to me.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Davis's website abt the guitarist ID...but then I'm still waiting to hear back from Experience Hendrix abt questions re that funky-in-the-worst-sense Forever stamp.

Could be worse, though.

Like some, I could be impatiently waiting to hear back from GP editorial staff !

:bor:

d, it`s opinion/impression and as such certainly not worth arguing. Also in fairness, the musical context would be as much a giveaway for me as would a strict vocal comparison-I think Norah probably could pull off a performance of Alana`s song-I just haven`t heard anything from her with that kind of bluesy edge. She`s a pop artist.

Larryz-ya, the waitress uniform is from the video. Joan had a pretty big hit with a song called `One Of Us`, but this song got more airplay on alt-rock type stations. Some other songs of hers should have gotten more airplay too, good sounds.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

• 2 weeks later...
I know the feeling, d. I'm still waiting to get an estimate from my nephew, who does home improvement, on some work I wanted done on a house I lived in THREE HOUSES AGO!

Whitefang

Actually, WF, I was mocking another thread wherein a member bemoaned his unrequited attempts to contact GP staff...too tagential, I guess. ;)

d=halfnote

Archived