Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

semi-OT: providing quotes for services

David R

I'm trying to create some semblance of a business plan, and often people ask me what I charge for contract work (gigs for hire, studio sessions, copy work). I used to unintentionally lowball my numbers because I didn't know what the work was worth. Recently I've given out a couple of quotes that I've assumed were reasonable but have lost the gig because I'm out of the client's budget.

I'm not a union member and I don't know what scale rates are. Are there resources to find out the market rates for session work & music prep?

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you believe your recently quoted price was reasonable, then stick with it. There will always be somebody who thinks your price is too high. If your price is too low, you are not making any money, and people might think your product is shite.
Stuff and things.

I suppose what I'm asking is:

- is AFM scale published anywhere online? All my Svengle searches have never turned up anything definitive.

- for session work, is it normally quoted by hour or by song? I've always assumed by the hour but some clients think differently.

- for the copyists/arrangers here (I'm looking at you, BernMeister, Cygnus & Dave E), is hourly rate or per measure rate? Does it depend on the work (arranging/orchestrating vs. copying/proofreading/layout)?

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

If this is of any help. . .

When producing songs/demos/jingles etc. in my studio, I've found that clients want a flat fee for a project. Over the years, I've found a set of project/prices that I quote, and I stick to them.

I don't get every job I quote, and yes, On a few prjects I will lose money - -or put an unreasonable amount of time into some, but I prefer to have a formula and stick to it. Overall, I run at a good profit, and having a solid pricing formula I believe in actually enhances my reputation and credibility.

Other studios/producers out there might have better luck with the per-hour formula. I think that works for studio time . . not so much for creative/production projects.

Regarding live playing, I have a "per musician" number, for any service up to three hours, that I quote for bands/trios etc., and I tell clients that we are "self-contained" for any event up to 300 persons. Beyond that, I advise that they'll need to hire a PA company.

Again - - it's a credible number and formula. I don't get every job quoted, but I do well with the live gigs.

Archived