Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recommendations for a good rock piano patch on RD700NX?

v8pete

Before I bought the NX, I had an RD700SX for years, and my favourite piano patch for blues/rock playing was based on the SX's "600 Grand" sample, which I guess was taken over from the RD600. Now the NX has a lot of things that I really like, eg. the sublime piano action, but I can't for the life of me get a good rock piano sound out of it. The old SX patch had a really great big powerful sound, with plenty of bass content but also cut like hell. All of the NX stuff seems to be too "woody" sounding, even the brighter samples have a funny hollowness to them, and although I've messed around quite a bit I've not managed to get anything that I really like. Anyone got any tricks to share that might help!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In assuming you've tried the "Rock Piano" patch? 06 on one of the SN piano categories. That always worked well for me in most rock settings and never failed to cut through, especially with the sound focus knob. Sound focus and EQ is usually enough, but once you start menu diving, the actual tone editing engine is beautifully deep:

I'd reccomed starting on one of the 10 "Bright piano" patches then use the tone edit button to hack away at all the parameters until you get something you like. Then play around in EQ mode.

Concert Grand and Rock Piano always satisfied me but to each their own!

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

Many thanks guys for the input. Already have a Yamaha - a lovely C3LS, and its without question the best thing I've ever spent money on, my pride and joy!

Thanks for the advice regarding the Rock Grand preset - spent a while messing with this earlier on, and actually if you set it for a much lighter keyboard velocity response its pretty much perfect, only gigging will tell, but at home it sounds as good if not better than the old SX patch. So it's probably my fault for giving in too easily! What fooled me was the fact that before editing, the sound was quite lack lustre - but afterwards, what a difference!

Layer one of the brighter patches over one of the beefier ones - I find you lose a little of the touch response but nothing that's noticeable if you're pounding it out in a rock band. I also have one preset where I have a couple of the brighter ep's subtly layered over a grand patch and that cuts through nicely too, but with a little more "texture" than straight piano.

If music is soul food, man am I hungry!

scs

Archived