Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

verse chords on Dire Straits -- Walk of life

vonshavingcream

can someone help me out? I recently started playing the keyboard and I am trying to figure this song out. Every tutorial on this song only shows the famous riff part.

I am trying to sort out what chords are played during the verse and part before the chorus.

Any help or a point in the right direction would be great. Hopefully one that is in the same key as the album recording.

Thanks,

C

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are only three chords in the verse - E, A, and B - all major chords. It shouldn't be hard to tell which is which. :)

The chords during the instrumental hook are;

E B A C#mi B G#mi A B.

The opening organ chords are the same every time the riff is repeated. Have fun with it! :cool:

><>

Steve

"I recently started playing keyboard" ... it's probably his first chording instrument if he can't figure out I IV V.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

can someone help me out? I recently started playing the keyboard and I am trying to figure this song out. Every tutorial on this song only shows the famous riff part. I am trying to sort out what chords are played during the verse and part before the chorus.

Here you go, C.

I've always wanted to do something like this as I wish more people would have done for me when I was starting out in rock... It's in the key of the recording. These are the voicings I would use. Feel free to experiment for yourself.

http://youtu.be/GzctnjKD6e0

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

Hey, empathy is a good thing. I remember when I was starting out ...

The best advice I can give is put a pair of headphones on, sit at the keyboard for 30 minutes, and just try different things until it sounds right to you. That, and having a keyboard that can approximate the original sound ...

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Thank you for the help. NO this is not a joke. I am trying to learn keyboards for this song and reached out for some help. Thank you all for taking the time to help me learn something.

I was very stuck on this for some reason, and welcome all the advice.

Thank you for taking this seriously.

Thank you all for taking the time to help me learn something.

I don't mean to be difficult, but I don't think you learned anything. You could have sat at your keyboard hunting and pecking until your ears recognized that you'd found a match. Instead you got someone else to do your homework.

What have you learned, really :rolleyes:

You'll have to forgive Brother Steve. .....he occasionally has a hard time understanding folks who don't.

You may be right, but Mr. Vonshavingcream asked for help figuring out the 3 most commonly used chords in all of rock music history. Simple, straight ahead major, 1-4-5. Even a complete beginner should have little trouble listening and plunking to pick them out. I honestly thought someone was pulling our legs.

The chords are okay, but what about the riff hook line?

I've playing this song for ages, use a sample from my old D-50 for this (Straits Organ).

But the riff consist of 3 lines on top of each other with different sounds.

Anyone with the tones and sounds for these lines?

For a long time i have the idea to program this in my synth (Kurzweil PC3K):

Add the 2 other sounds with different pitch that one key plays 3 tones.

I could do this with momentary buttons and the flexible VAST engine of kurzweil. I do need to know all tones....

I've seen a clip of Dire Straits live, where they have 2 keyboard players to do this. One is for sure a Hammond.

The chords are for sure a Hammond.

Thanks! I'll share the program if i succeed!

Nord Piano 5-73, Nord Stage 3
Author of QSheets: The fastest lead sheet viewer in the world that also plays Audio Files and send Program Changes!
https://qsheets.eriknie.synology.me/

I remember sequencing the keyboards for this on my Mac Plus with Jambox and Southworth MidiPaint, back in the 80's, to play along with on guitar. Big fun! My first sequencer, oh boy. (Yeah, I was late to the game, compared to folks using hardware sequencers.)

I had the sequencer slaved to my 4-track tape deck, but for whatever reason I never bothered recording it, and I really can't remember how close I nailed the sounds. IMHO, it's more important to carry the concept than to duplicate the tones anyway. I had a JX10, Prophet 2002 sampler, and SCI 6-trak, but no idea what I actually used.

But the riff consist of 3 lines on top of each other with different sounds.

Anyone with the tones and sounds for these lines?

When I played this live, I tasked the percussionist to play the high keyboard line and I took care of the two lower. I played the two lower lines on my m50. The lower chords were a Hammond sound and the hook was a layer of church organ and accordion.

The percussionist used a backline Nord keyboard MIDIed to trigger a synth lead on a Roland JV1010; I forget if it was a square or a saw lead.

It sounded pretty good IMHO. It was my first foray into "arranging"; writing out sheet music and tasking parts to others.

http://youtu.be/goR_DKnHT_E

wow: sounds great!

Do you still have the sheet music for the 3 lines?

can you take a picture/scan it?

Would save me a lot of time!

THanks!

On vacation now with no access to my home computer. I'm not sure if I still do but will check once back home.

For the signature keyboard riff, I recall using a percussive organ patch on my DX-7 MIDIed to a polyphonic sawtooth patch on my Prophet 5. I was able to play the part with my right hand, while holding "organ" chords on my OB-8 (heavy outboard chorus added) with my left.

What may be confusing the OP is that there are some leading notes during the verse. IIRC, during the verse the "E" sort of becomes "E6" (C# replacing the "B") for one measure before switching to the "A" chord.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Archived