Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Design your own guitar

jcadmus

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like someone just one-upped Carvin -- if they made basses, I might be into it:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/engineering/gonzo/design-your-own-guitar-this-startup-will-build-it-16462904?click=pp

According to the FAQ, they do basses, but only in one body style, which appears to be a "tele" type.

aforementioned FAQ

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

If you could design your own body shape, then I would be more interested.

One just needs to exercise and eat the right foods to do this! LOL

Wally

Doh!

My guess is over time, additional options like body shapes, neck shapes, etc. will be available. If they're successful.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

If I could design my own bass right now It would be a Thunderbird with Gibson pickups, Hipshot bridge and a good (say post 2007 MIA Fender) bolt on Jazz neck with a rosewood board.

That would be cool.

Push the button Frank.

If I could design my own bass right now It would be a Thunderbird with Gibson pickups, Hipshot bridge and a good (say post 2007 MIA Fender) bolt on Jazz neck with a rosewood board.

That would be cool.

You mean sort of like this?

http://mikelull.com/images/basses/t4/04-gallery.jpg

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Sandberg has been doing this for close to a year. Some of their instruments are clearly Fender clones, but other basses in their line have a more unique design. I've played at least a couple of Sandbergs, and the build quality is pretty good. Either way, being able to custom build an instrument to your specifications online is a very cool feature.

Kenny, sounds like you might be in the market for one of these:

http://static.musiciansfriend.com/derivates/18/999/647/64/DV016_Jpg_Large_1302124518916_A.jpg

...with a set of these pickups:

http://www.lollarguitars.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/Chrome-TBird-large.jpg

I've been reading some really positive reviews of these Lollar T-bird pickups. In fact, I think Mike Lull might be using these in his T-bird basses.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Thanks Nick. You know the deal-breaker for me with the Dean was always the EMGs. I've heard nothing but good things about the Lollars. Doesn't it also looks as if the pickup placement might be a bit off towards the neck? Maybe not...

I think perhaps when I'm a bit less kids-in-collegey I might actually consider a Dean/Lollar mini project. I'd have to make sure I like the neck first but it could sound awesome for under a grand.

Push the button Frank.

Thanks Nick. You know the deal-breaker for me with the Dean was always the EMGs. I've heard nothing but good things about the Lollars. Doesn't it also looks as if the pickup placement might be a bit off towards the neck? Maybe not...

I think perhaps when I'm a bit less kids-in-collegey I might actually consider a Dean/Lollar mini project. I'd have to make sure I like the neck first but it could sound awesome for under a grand.

I totally get that. It used to be that when you were looking for aftermarket pickups you had a very limited number of choices: EMG, Bartolini, Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio. And EMG was held in pretty high esteem back in what they call, The Day. But now I get the sense that EMG is more niche, appealing almost to a metal crowd.

Be that as it may, those Lollars look sweet. I was, however, mistaken regarding Lollar and the Lull basses. Mike Lull is putting in his own custom pickups in his T-Basses. But as for Lollar pickups? I've got a set of the Lollar J-Bass pickups in my Fender Roadworn Jazz, and they are AWESOME! I really love the way these pickups brought out the J-bass growl that so many speak of.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Archived