Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Semi-OT: experience using banner ads

J. Dan

Has anyone ever placed banner ads on a web site for income? I know on Facebook, you pay for ads based on click-through rate, etc. But I'm interested in putting ads on a site to help fund it. I assume you set up an account with somebody like google ads, they give you code for the banner, and you get paid when somebody clicks it? Can you get paid based on number of visitors viewing the page with the ad as well? Any idea what kind of money is involved?

Reason why this is only semi-OT is because I'm thinking of setting up a site to share program files - not samples, just small programs for keyboards in their native format with a description and maybe a small mp3 sample of it. I thought of this because over on the Korg forum, I've emailed some folks some PCG files from my Kronos of programs I've done for cover tunes after they've posted questions on how to get the sound. Busch is talking about releasing some free libraries as well. I'm just thinking it would be cool if there were a sharing site to post stuff like that for audition and download. It would be very easy to set up. Cost would depend on bandwidth needed, which is why I wouldn't support sample libraries. So initially it'd maybe cost me $30-$50 per year plus my time, until bandwidth exceeded what that covered. I'd just want ads to offset cost, not looking to make a living or anything. Think it's feasible.

On a side note, are there any trademark/copyright issues with somebody posting a Kronos file of a sound that they say is "the cars-let's go" with an mp3 snippet of themselves playing the hook? If you skip the mp3, then what? Is it like when the Kronos calls it a "German Grand" instead of a "Steinway"?

The other challenge would be analyzing uploaded files to verify they are a valid file and not a virus or spam.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived