Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha CP4 bell-like artefact

Marillo

Has anyone else noticed this on the third piano, the S6 sample set, on and around the C#1 mark? A sort of bell-like twang? Really quite pronounced once spotted.

Also one strange pyschological effect of the different sample sets I'm finding is that, while they're all very good, the differences between them - the stereo imaging, the timbres, reverbs, feel etc - serve to reinforce the fact that these are recordings of an acoustic instrument.

That might sound odd but with Roland's Supenatural piano the variations were all based around the same sample and to me this aided the 'suspension of disbelief' as it were. If I move around the Yamaha sample sets I find the effect a little jarring...difficult to explain :crazy:

Anyhow, the action is the main reason I bought this machine and I am still loving it. Plus - the electric/CP pianos and other bread-and-butter patches are fantastic. This is more than just a piano, it's a very capable gigging workhorse.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marillion!!! I liked them. They were great. I lost track of them after Fish left.

Neal from the Young Ones was a huge Marillion fan also.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

The S6 set seems to have all sorts of little oddities in it - more than the other two. But I've noticed the bell-like tone on the upper notes, not around C#1, maybe above C6. I have noticed the lower notes seem to grow disproportionately louder below something like G2. The other sample sets don't do this.

Some of the lower notes in the CFX set have a pronounced "twang" (if that's the proper technical term). It's interesting that they didn't try to smooth it all out.

Has anyone else noticed this on the third piano, the S6 sample set, on and around the C#1 mark? A sort of bell-like twang? Really quite pronounced once spotted.....

.....Anyhow, the action is the main reason I bought this machine and I am still loving it. Plus - the electric/CP pianos and other bread-and-butter patches are fantastic. This is more than just a piano, it's a very capable gigging workhorse.

I hear a very faint, 'wine glass' after effect on C#1 - D#1; it seems a little louder on the D1. This only occurs when playing "S6 St". "S6 St+", and "S6 St-" don't seem to exhibit the artifact; the mono Voices do not either. But I've heard similar things when playing single notes on acoustic grands.

Compared to the group of slightly pitchy, low notes in the S6 sample of the S90XS, this is almost nothing; though IIRC, it's in the same area. I still find the S6 S90XS playable in that range - though I usually use an edited S6 Voice, or combined sample Voice when playing an 'exposed' piano part on that keyboard.

I agree, the CP4 seems to be a capable, bread-n-butter workhorse for gigging. It's not going to best a stronger Clonewheel, or VA included instrument - as it's still slanted toward piano and electro-mechanical pianos. But for what it does, and its size and weight, it's quite an impressive and useful work tool.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Archived