Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anybody Have Reason Essentials? I'm Having Issues...

BiC

I'm a newbie to DAW. I got two of them I am experimenting with:

- Reason Essentials 2, which I paid $99 for.

- Studio One Artist, which came with my Nektar Impact LX 49 and Presonus Audiobox USB.

I am attempting to solve this with:

1. Reason (in Holland)

2. Presonus

3. Sweetwater

So far, no luck. Here's my issue:

I want to play my guitar through the Line 6 amp simulator within Reason, but what is supposed to be a distorted sound is a bypass sound with distortion layered just in the background of it.

What I tried so far...

1. Turning the mixer knob on the Audiobox all the way to "playback."

The steps I take in Reason to play guitar:

a. "Create Audio Track"

b. Audio Input settings:

Click "In" and have chosen "mono input" and "audiobox ASIO driver In 2"

c. Insert Line 6 Guitar Amp into that audio track

d. Choose a distorted preset

e. Click enable monitoring for the track

f. Reason > Edit > Preferences > Audio > Monitoring > click on "automatic."

If you have Reason, please explain to me step-by-step what you do to play your guitar through it? I am missing a step or click somewhere in the chain... OR my audio interface (Audiobox USB) is malfunctioning.

Thank you!

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi BiC,

I don't own, nor have I ever used any form of Reason.

:rimshot:

Heh, sry couldn't resist.

I use Reaper, but all DAWs do pretty much the same thing, just in different ways.

What you're doing, essentially, is using the Line 6 plugin as an effect. It gets applied to the signal "after the fact", so to speak.

So I think what's happening is either:

Your FX (or whatever Reason calls it) level is set low, or the dry/wet balance needs tweaking,

or

There's some kind of conflict with your monitoring. I see you've enabled input monitoring manually, but then you've also told Reason to automatically control monitoring.

Since you're plugged in directly, you'd be monitoring the sound before it gets to the Line 6 effect, which is just your interface preamp. I think.

Try disabling monitoring altogether and see if you then hear only the processed signal. If you've got a decent computer there shouldn't be much of a latency issue.

My ears are haunted.

In Digital Performer one has the option to monitor through plug in effects, with resulting latency (processing delay) or to bypass effects when recording, resulting in no latency. Read through the Reason manual to see if there's something similar going on here.
Scott Fraser

Thanks guys. I'll mess around with it later and try your suggestions- after I get my daughter off to school. :)

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Thank you for your support. Everything seems to be working now, and I don't know why because I did not do anything differently other than plugging my guitar into input 1 of my audio interface- Presonus Audiobox USB. But, when I proceeded to plug it into input 2 (where I had the issue with), in order to replicate my issue, it's working there too. So, I don't understand what I did to make it work. But, it is working... for now. Thank you again, and I'll let you know if I have any other issues.

~Peace

Could it be that you just didn't have it plugged all the way in or maybe you might have a loose or dirty input 2?

It's a new audio interface... only had it about a week. I made sure the plug was all the way in. But what's funny is that input 1 is marked "Mic" and input 2 is marked "Instrument." So, logic would have it that my guitar goes into 2. Then, while flipping through the manual, I saw they had the guitar going into 1. So, I tried that, and it worked. Then I went back to 2- where I had the problem- and it worked there too. It's as if I had to first plug into 1 to calibrate it or something like that. Really really weird. Here's what I have:

http://www.presonus.com/products/audiobox-usb

Glad it worked out BiC, enjoy the new toy(s)!

Thank you! But I swear, I was ready to throw up my arms and go back to old school with at least a 4-track recorder. That still isn't out of the question because I am more hands-on. :D

Me too, but I found that if I dug in real deep and rtfm, everything started to make sense. Just have to invest a little time.

It's nice being able to just plug in to the interface and have approximations of just about any amp or effect right there. Record whatever you want, slice n dice, mix n match...you don't even have to worry about coming in on time, you can just record a segment at the correct tempo and slap it in w/just a couple clicks. Stretch it out to fit if you need, unlimited takes, overdubs, punch-ins...anything's possible...I love it.

It does lack portability, but personally, I don't care about that.

Great practice/rehearsal tool, too. Open an mp3 and slow it down as much as you need while maintaining pitch to make learning songs easier.

And on and on...

My ears are haunted.

Could it be that you just didn't have it plugged all the way in or maybe you might have a loose or dirty input 2?

It's a new audio interface... only had it about a week. I made sure the plug was all the way in. But what's funny is that input 1 is marked "Mic" and input 2 is marked "Instrument." So, logic would have it that my guitar goes into 2. Then, while flipping through the manual, I saw they had the guitar going into 1. So, I tried that, and it worked. Then I went back to 2- where I had the problem- and it worked there too. It's as if I had to first plug into 1 to calibrate it or something like that. Really really weird. Here's what I have:

http://www.presonus.com/products/audiobox-usb

Very nice! Looks brand new and the speakon/1/4" inputs look solid. So, maybe the cord has a little short in it. I had a short in a cord once. I was hearing static and couldn't figure out if I had a tube going, a loose jack or a speaker rattle and it was driving me nuts. One day I happened to step on the cord just right and found it had a bad spot even though it was a fairly new cord and I had no idea there was a problem with it. I changed the cord and all the problems went away...

Take care, Larryz

http://www.markertek.com/Connectors-Adapters/Audio-Connectors/Speakon-Connectors/Neutrik-USA-Inc/NLJ2MD-H.xhtml <---Thanks for pointing that out Scott (my bad). I had only glanced at his connector and it looked like the one I use as shown above on my PA equipment that handles speakon/1/4"...it makes much more sense for it to be XLR/1/4" for guitar/mic inputs. Sorry boyz for the brain fart... :cry:

Take care, Larryz

Archived