Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Highest Grossing Tours of 2013

Jazz+

I have now officially been made old!

I recognize only about half the names on the list, wouldn't go see any of them (Except Rieu- his ensemble can KILL "O Fortuna") because they aren't what I enjoy musically, and I don't do concerts any more just because "it'll be fun."

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nobody would, in the US.

Wrong.

André Rieu is in the US and Canada all the time and he will be in 2014 again.

He´s mega-successful.

A.C.

That's not what I said. I'm very aware of Mr. Rieu, my former girlfriend plays in his orchestra. What I'm implying is that his success here is because of PBS, that's how the public discovered him here.

Of the pop princesses who can actually sing, IMO Pink and Gaga murder songs less than the likes of Celine, Mariah, and American Idol alumni.

In addition, Celine has that fake modest Diana Ross "WORSHIP ME" thing going.

You've got to be kidding?? - yes??

Brett

I don't like how they avoid taking into account number of concerts. Sure a major act who plays 100 shows is going to make more than the act who plays 50 shows. They should, at a minimum, average out the number of gigs.

p.s. Woohoo Dave Matthews Band! I actually had a local festival CEO who I help book bands for tell me that "Zac Brown Band is bigger than Dave Matthews". I laughed, sent him this list, and told him the reason he hires me is because of how clueless he is about current music. He conceeded his point.

Moe could be kidding, but I'm not. She irritates me. The attention she gets irritates me. She's not just a singer, she's a whole soap opera. She made a huge deal out her farewell tour a very long time ago. How can I possibly miss her if she won't go away?

Yeah she has a great voice and she can sing, but I don't want to hear it.

André needs to be a top grossing act to take that show on the road. From what I've seen on PBS, he like to go big.

--wmp

No doubt about it, music is highly subjective and subject to taste. Objectively, she has great pipes. No question about it. I think I recall that you're also a Madonna fan. Not my thing.

André isn't exactly my thing either, but I can enjoy some of that on TV.

Paying to see big names live isn't in the budget. Often there's just no time. I missed Billy Payne at Johnny D's in October for relatively short money because I didn't have the time.

--wmp

Nobody would, in the US.

Wrong.

André Rieu is in the US and Canada all the time and he will be in 2014 again.

He´s mega-successful.

A.C.

He's wildly successful , and seems to be like a mega fun touring machine with it!.

Brett

Yes, he's wildly successful. The opinions on "mega fun touring machine" seem to differ among those working for him. :laugh: I have nothing against the guy, he's a good player and good musician. Good for him. :thu:

Story: years ago, I did a backup gig for Jewel (american singer, don't know if she is known worldwide.). We're at break and one of the other violinists starts talking about Rieu. She says "Man, what a sellout, him and all those in his orch. I would NEVER, EVER sell out like that and do that schmaltzy crap".

It was one of the funniest (in a perverse way) things I've ever heard. :laugh: The chick was doing a whole-note backup gig, reading down charts that a high-schooler would be bored with. For some reason, that was deemed high art, whilst Rieu was the sellout. Go figure.

Jewel was a well known gem about 10-15 years ago , and seems to have gone quiet these days - certainly not a mention in the news anyway.

The eye popping remarks I have heard as a "fly on the wall" , are money issues.

Top dog well known muso here in NZ was asked what he's done with all his money (by a cheeky character :) ) and he said it's invested in the lead singers house :(.

Brett

Archived