Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bassists Look Too Bored

Groove Mama

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen those videos a few times and they still make me chuckle a bit.

Now they need to put out a video about what to do when the singer and lead guitarist get all pissy when you start rockin' out instead of standing there and you do it better than they do! ;)

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

These are funny, but the real point for me is to be one's authentic self when playing. Flea can throw himself around and it works because that's who he is. My throwing myself around would look like a 54-year-old having a seizure (and playing like I was having a seizure).
"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

I cannot forget John Entwhistle standing still, serious and relaxed in his skeleton outfit while Pete Townsend was jumping all over the place. That was keeping the scene.

Best line in GM's video: "Does he even KNOW he's in The Who?"

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

..the real point for me is to be one's authentic self when playing. Flea can throw himself around and it works because that's who he is. My throwing myself around would look like a 54-year-old having a seizure (and playing like I was having a seizure).

Pretty much sums it up.

Entwistle, while very stoic and stationary did enjoy wearing flash outfits like the skeleton mentioned above. One I recall seing had two words embroidered under the arn and down the side so when the final encore was over he could wave goodbye to the crowd and reveal

P

I

S

S

O

F

F

Push the button Frank.

These are funny, but the real point for me is to be one's authentic self when playing. Flea can throw himself around and it works because that's who he is. My throwing myself around would look like a 54-year-old having a seizure (and playing like I was having a seizure).

Well, you know, there's a lot of grey area between statue and backflips, Richard.

Not singling Richard out but as has been said here before, if you expect your audience to get excited and dance they will be miffed as to why you look so bored on stage. It's very simple to smile and sway while playing, and that will go a long way.

Well, you know, there's a lot of grey area between statue and backflips, Richard.

Not singling Richard out but as has been said here before, if you expect your audience to get excited and dance they will be miffed as to why you look so bored on stage. It's very simple to smile and sway while playing, and that will go a long way.

Of course, you are right. I do tend to sway, move my instrument around, move toward and away from the microphone as necessary when singing, and make eye contact with audience members especially as friends arrive or leave. But those are all things that a reasonably competent 54-year-old bass player can do authentically and not look like a dope.

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

My cousin -who was one inspiration for me to play - saw me one night.

Afterward he said "I never realized playing bass involved so much jumping" (he's very deadpan)

I can't do moves I did in my 20s but I don't look dead either!

Great video!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived