Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guitar Project.

CEB

I have some project parts sitting around I never did anything with. A old bullet truss rod Strat neck from the 70s and a heavy black Strat body that I was told was a Schecter.

I don't have a P 90 guitar. Maybe i will set it up with 2 P90s. If I put a Strat PU in the center I wonder how well they will play together in the 2 and 4 switch positions?

The original plan was to get a pre wired EMG pick guard but that was around 87 By the time I had the money for the EMGs I went on to something else.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love P-90's! Go with three P-90's and some means of being able to switch all-three on in parallel (perhaps by having a mini-switch or a push/pull or push/push Volume or Tone pot or the like to add the bridge-pickup to any current pickup-selection on the 5-way). :cool:

A Strat-style middle-pickup would be overpowered by the P-90's, it'd probably be hard to get 'em balanced for a proper cluck in positions #2 and #4, particularly without getting its powerful slug-magnet pole-pieces too close to the strings and causing tuning and intonation problems. :freak:

Cream or white soap-bars would look really beautiful against that black Strat-style axe. But on the other hand, black-bars would give it a cool black-out stealth vibe. :cool:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

The frets needs to be dressed. First thought was just 2 P90's then I thought with a Strat configuration you have 2 hum cancelling positions.

One thing I could do is something like a Brent Mason Nashville wiring mod. I could have a Volume and 3 way switch for the 2 outside pickups the middle knob could be a volume to fade in the middle. On a Mason setup the middle is out phase for getting Strat sounds. Then the last knob could maybe be a master tone. Just thinking.

Never owned P90s. I got to wanting some P90's after I saw this band open for us and the guitar player was playing a Gibson double cutaway slab with 2 P90s. It was either called a Jr. or a Special. It is the old classic design. But it is not currently in production. It sounded great.

PS one of these:

s_gibson-les-paul-faded-double-cutaway-electric-guitar.jpg

A P90 build idea I had a while back was 2 P90s at the bridge next to each each like the Krammer Nightswan did with humbuckers. But be able to put the P90s in Series like a big humbucker and set it up for slide. But someone told me the magnetic field generated would be an issue. I had wondered why no one had ever done it.

For the double cut-a-way Gibson, I would run a 3-way with the two P90's, for the Strat body I would go back to the 3 single coil David Gilmour drop-in with the 5-way. I don't have the 90's but I do have the Gilmour EMG's with EXP and SPC and it sounds WONDERFUL!
Take care, Larryz

Archived