Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

UAD-1 not distributed by Mackie anymore

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by TinderArts:

Who besides me thinks this is a great move by UA?

Have they lost faith in Mackie? But with native getting more powerful by the year, how much longer will an add-on DSP card make sense?
This way, no, wait, that way!

I think these UAD-1 and similar cards can have a share in the market, simply because the integration of software and hardware makes piracy a lesser issue.

Beside, if the plugs sound as great as some reviews I read indicate, it sounds tempting to me.

EDIT: Oops, look like you beat me to it Tinder. :wave:

Think before you think before you speak

I think these cards are great. It's wonderful to have dsp dedicated to the card. Developers don't have to concern themselves with skimping to compromise with CPU. The UAD sounds great and has proven indespensible. Yeah, cracks being everywhere and plentiful - I don't think this concept is going away soon.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

As long as developers have to sacrifice quality to keep their MIPS down (ask George - he'll tell you all about this problem) then dedicated DSP will continue to make sense.

Remember, gentlemen - faster CPUs enable the developers to DO A BETTER JOB - which doesn't change the fact that you WILL run out of CPU if you use a lot of plugs.

The only thing preventing me from buying a Powercore or UAD card is the age issue . . . digitally speaking (pardon my noncontending analogy) these cards were released a couple of generations ago . . . vis a vis the two incarnations of ProTools cards that have come and gone (kinda) in the same 'lifespan' of the single technology.

Perhaps Mackie have been pressuring for a new version ~ that they can market all along the product life cycle instead of just showing up as it tapers out . . . though I can't remember who marketed the card upon its introduction.

Qualify everything I've said as an UNINFORMED OPINION . . .

. . . Deo Volente

Mackie has dumped Soundscape , RCF, and now their distribution of the UAD card. Now that they are public, with all of their sharholders suckling at the teat, they can't look at any part of their business in a long-term fashion, even if it makes sense as part of the puzzle.

Overseas manufacturing, cheaper lines to compete with Berringer (ultimately canibalizing their own sales), and greater reliance on mass-market music dealers will ultimately bring Mackie down many notches, and I hope they are ready to run a significantly smaller and less competitive company. They have forgotten that they need to be good at what they do, and that they are part of a community.

Originally posted by Doug Osborne:

Overseas manufacturing, cheaper lines to compete with Berringer (ultimately canibalizing their own sales), and greater reliance on mass-market music dealers will ultimately bring Mackie down many notches, and I hope they are ready to run a significantly smaller and less competitive company. They have forgotten that they need to be good at what they do, and that they are part of a community.

Exactly,Mackie has been downsizing for a while now and it's really no surprise that UAD would be dropped since it doesn't represent a fast enough turn around for them.Either UAD will find another distributer or just go back to doing it themselves.If more hardware companies like Kurzweil put FireWire and plugin GUI's to their hardware,UAD could begin to loose footing.I'm really surprised that their still on the same technology as they started a while back.Personally,I'd rather pay more for dedicated boxes that acted the same way than depend on one smorgassboard all-in-one solution,and the PCI card with limited DSP power is getting old real fast.In order to do a full mix with UAD,you really need 2 cards,then you have to deal with running what is essentially 3 video cards in your system,2 off the PCI bus fighting with your audio hardware and your main AGP joining the fight and the northbridge crossing.UAD can only hope that hardware companies don't get smart quick enough.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Archived