Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help Understanding Kronos Files

J. Dan

I've struggled a bit to get a handle on what get's saved where and when and getting things to load back in properly. I ended up having to reload some samples and recreate programs to make them available again, and I've lost some set lists.

I had some songs with programs that were made from samples, and they said "sample not loaded". I loaded the samples, recreated MS in same location, and even after it was created, going in the program in the dropdown to select a sample, it wasn't there. The only way to access it was to go to the MS and select "create program from MS", then they were there. Of course I had to re-save with the new program.

Maybe part of my problem is I'm trying to keep things separate between my 2 bands, only reason being if down the road I ran out of space, I could load one or the other and not worry about it (I wouldn't anticipate either band on it's own taking up all my space). But maybe I shouldn't worry about that and just start saving everything all together. Since I have to "load" to get songs in anyway, and I'm only using sequences for my duo, my setup now is that it preloads what I need for my 5pc. I have a folder for my duo that I multiple select everything and load it, with "clear" as opposed to "append".

Things had gotten messy because I accidentally let it rename my stuff once when I saved in that folder, and so it created duplicates under slightly different names...so I had twocents_userbank.KSC as well as twocents_userbank_userbank.KSC. So I deleted everything and did another "save all". But that's when I lost some stuff.

So last time I kept the old folder and just did a new "Save all" in a different folder. The folder is "Atari Twins" and I saved as "AT1". In that folder is:

AT1 (folder)

4 files named AT1: .KGE, .KSC, .PGC, .SNG

AT1_UserBank.KSC

In the AT1 folder:

a collection of KSF, KMP, and folders. In some cases, there is a matching KSF, KMP, and folder (names) that I recall saving. In other cases, there are KSF's with no matching of the others, and in some cases, they are named something like TAKEO003. In the folders are generic names like MS001000.KSF.

In AT1_UserBank.KSC

Folders EXs1-9, Smp: AT1, and 2Cents (what I had saved everything as before). Inside 2Cents:

2 folders:

Multisamples

Drumsamples

Multisamples has one sample in it, drumsamples has most of the others it would appear.

I'm a bit confused with the folders inside folders - mainly the extra "AT1" folder and its contents, and the "_userbank.KSC"

It seems everything should be contained in the root .KSC, .KGE, .PCG, and .SNG files. Anybody can shed some light?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm kind of shocked that nobody here has anything to share. Of ALL the Kronos owners out there, NONE of you understand the file system? I ended up posting on the Korg forum and got a couple responses, but they are vary sparse with little information. So I'll update this with what I've learned and what I'm GUESSING, but haven't proven....

OK, so the folder in the directory where I saved my files has .KSF and .KMP files. Apparently they are associated with the .KSC file.

What I THINK, is that it's probably redundant to load both. In the PRELOAD, you just load a .KSC and it's all there....the .KSC probably points to all the files in that folder.

OK, so there's a .KSC and a _UserBank.KSC...I'm assuming, but haven't proven, that the _userbank.KSC had to be added when they added user banks AA-GG, and it only applies to those. BUT, there is still only ONE folder with .KSF and .KMP files, so I have to assume both .KSC files SHARE that folder.

I assume that .PCG is just backup and that it's redundant to "load" it because once I "write" a program it retains it.

I also assume that all songs must be loaded manually. There is no way to "preload" songs.

On the setlist issue, I learned that Set Lists are saved in the .PCG. The .PCG contains:

Set Lists

Programs

Combinations

Drum Kits

Wave Sequences

Global Setting

To my knowledge that should all be retained on reboot unless replaced via manual load.

I'm still confused on multisamples vs drumsamples.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Sorry I haven't been paying much attention to this forum.

The distinction between _userbank.KSC and a regular KSC is that userbank takes advantage of streaming from SSD. It will have a much quicker load and use only about 10% of RAM that a standard KSC will require. The only reason I can think of to load a regular KSC is if you want to edit the multisamples. With a standard KSC everything is loaded into RAM. So use _userbank.KSC. Ignore the folder that you should find with each KSC. It contains the actual samples/multisamples.

PCG does not need to be loaded each time. They remain in "memory" until they are replaced.

Sequences do need to be loaded but a sequence can contain up to 200 songs.

Busch.

Actually, since I posted this, I ended up posting to the Korg forum and got some help, then upon clicking around on that forum, I ended up on your blog page and found your excellent explanation of the files using your CS80 files as examples Thanks!!!

I need to do a little experimentation, I'm still not really sure why some of my samples stopped loading. Since I recreated, and resaved everything, it's been fine, but that one threw me.

Dan

Archived