Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg SV1 - copying sounds from keyboard to computer

drewdlhj

Hi, does anyone know how to copy the sounds on the Korg SV1 to a Mac? I have recorded a pilot track from the Korg, both as an audio file and as MIDI. But I need to use the exact sound of the Korg (I used the basic piano with strings sound) on my MIDI track. I'm using Logic Pro 9 as my DAW? Is it as easy as hooking up my Mac via USB, and copying via the software editor? Any clues would be greatly appreciated as I have to complete my backing track TODAY!!! Thanks, Drew

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can play the audio track and get the exact same sound. You can play the MIDI track back to the SV1 and get the exact same sound. The software editor will let you edit and store all the settings for the sounds on the SV1, but not the actual sound itself. A software editor is not a software synth.
--wmp

I have recorded a pilot track from the Korg, both as an audio file and as MIDI.

You say you recorded it as an audio file. Into what? If you recorded it into Logic, then you already have the audio you want in Logic. If you recorded it using some other software program, you should be able to import it into your logic project as long as you saved your recording in a format Logic can read (like wav files or aiff, I would assume... I don't have Logic). Or just record it again, this time directly into Logic.

But I need to use the exact sound of the Korg (I used the basic piano with strings sound) on my MIDI track.

MIDI tracks don't have sounds. MIDI tracks only have instructions, which you would use to tell something else to produce sounds. If you want to record sounds, you need to record an audio track, not a MIDI track. So if you're using a MIDI track, the way to get the sound of the Korg out of it is to have the Korg connected to the computer while you're running the MIDI track, and set the Korg for the sound you want. If you want that sound to be permanently part of your project without having to have the Korg connected, the sound has to be recorded onto an audio track.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Thanks man! So, as I understand, if I want to replicate the Korg sound on my MIDI track in Logic, I have to view the settings on the software editor and try to use those somehow in Logic? I suppose the file formats are totally different, so exporting is not an option?
You did not understand. The only way to get your SV1 sounds is from your SV1. Forget the SV1 sound editor for now, because it's irrelevant to this topic. (All the editor does is tweak knobs inside the SV1. It isn't capable of actually making the audio for SV1 sounds. It does not duplicate the SV1's sound engine.)

You can use the computer to play a MIDI track into the SV1 (via USB) and record the analog output of the SV1 into your computer.

What you can't do is get the sound of your SV1 from the computer without using the SV1. Of course, if you've recorded the SV1's audio, you can play that back from the computer.

My wild guess (since it's realy not clear) is you recorded audio and MIDI from your SV1, but then you edited the MIDI (or changed the tempo), and now you want the new MIDI track "rendered" using the SV1's sound. You can do that, but only by using the SV1. I don't know Logic, but I think that's what KeyBass is telling you how to do above.

If that isn't it, please try again and go step by step what you did and what you now want that you can't get.

BTW, I'm saying the same thing that AnotherScott said above, but from a different perspective and with less technical information.

[Caveat: Actually, there *is* a way you can get SV1 sounds from your computer, or at least, a reasonable approximation. That requires "sampling" the SV1, which is a pretty technical project and takes quite a bit of time and energy. I did this for my Ensoniq MR76 piano, and while it doesn't sound quite as good as the real thing, it's close enough and very handy. But I really don't think you want to wander down that path. Even if you do, you need to have a really good grasp of the issues you don't understand here yet, plus a bunch of new ones.]

• 7 years later...

Hi I would love to find out how to do this:

JeffLearman:

"[Caveat: Actually, there *is* a way you can get SV1 sounds from your computer, or at least, a reasonable approximation. That requires "sampling" the SV1, which is a pretty technical project and takes quite a bit of time and energy. I did this for my Ensoniq MR76 piano, and while it doesn't sound quite as good as the real thing, it's close enough and very handy. But I really don't think you want to wander down that path. Even if you do, you need to have a really good grasp of the issues you don't understand here yet, plus a bunch of new ones.]"

Has anyone tried?

Hi I would love to find out how to do this
Here are programs that let you do it...

Autosampler (part of Mainstage) - Mac

SampleRobot - Mac or PC

Samplit - Mac or PC

Extreme Sample Converter - PC

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)