Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

how do they stop feedback when singers/rappers grab the top of the mic

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by fantasticsound:

[QB]

Hell, even actors and singers accepting awards somehow turn into morons and forget there are professional sound people to ensure they are heard. Don't lean into a podium mic, a**holes. Especially on TV. No one is watching to see you do your Hunchback of Notre Dame impression. :rolleyes::D

QB]

ive never EVER understood that. even back when i was a teenager just starting out in audio tinkering i was puzzled by the fact that these "stars" could be so lame as to hunch down into a mic. especially so for "famous" singers!!!

im a huge fan of creative hiphop culture but this "rap" nonsense breeds such ignorance.

check out acts such as Jurassic 5 to see how real hiphop intelligence saves the culture. the "gansta" style... my god. theres a reason why i too will never do sound for a "rap" group unless i REALLY really know them. the whole "soundboy sucks" rap thing should be reversed... "learn to use your microphone"

Originally posted by NYC Drew:

Nawledge,

On this, I agree. Lots of rappers cup the mic cuz that's the sound they want.

How come we always talk about "serving the needs of the client" but when they go outside the lines, away from convention, they're knuckleheads? I do it too. If a vocalist cups the mic, I rank that act a few nothces lower...meanwhile, that may be EXACTLY the sound they want...

...I'd never try to fuck with Derek Trucks like that - if he decided he's playing his steel strings in an unconventional manner...nor would I step to ANYBODY from Spyrogyra/Earth Wind & Fire/Parliment about technique...

.....food for thought.

NYC Drew

True enough - although, if Derek Trucks insisted on having his snare mic turned up to the point of feedback, then placed over the drum wedge, and then bitched about the feedback all night - I'd call him a f*ckin' idiot too.

Point taken about serving the client, Drew. But that's exactly why I'm more than willing to give those gigs to someone else.

It's not worth my time or frustration to work with such people. There's a line between serving the client and my reputation for great sound suffering at the hands of an act with no clue how to handle a mic.

If a guitar sounds like garbage, it's an even bet the audience blames the soundman or the musician. If a vocal sounds like garbage, they immediately go to the soundman or the system. (And most times they should, assuming they're familiar with the timbre of the singer's voice.)

And Nawledge, baiting me into a race/culture arguement just isn't going to work. Though I don't appreciate most rap, I don't dismiss anyone out of hand just because that's their talent. Poor mic technique is just that. I'm just as critical of heavy rock bands that completely bury the vocal. You don't have to do the pop/rock/country deal of putting the vocal way out front, but when the audience stares at me in hate or walks up to tell me they can't understand the singer (and I know I could fix it), it's time for me to tell the band to find another mixer.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived