Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guitar Player At The Jam

Chad Thorne

Ron (gtr. player) was telling me the other night about a guitar player he saw. "You know him, he used to come to the jam. Plays a Strat; not a great player. Usually drunk. Wears a hat sometimes."

By the time he got through with this description he was already with me when I said, "You're going to have to be a little more specific..." :laugh:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK,

I'll respond.

I've seen that guy at a lot of blues bars. He always wants to sit in and then he plays way too many choruses. He must go from city to city around the country.

No, it's an alien invasion. They all look alike because they have been cloned from a wannabe guitarist from somewhere in the midwest. The DNA donor had little talent and less experience playing to live audiences.

Unfortunately, there's another clone as well hitting jams in all 50 states. He's a short, pudgy older guy, with no singing voice or ear for pitch, who thinks he can sing the blues & play harmonica. If you haven't run into one of him yet, you will...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

His English (and spelling) is better than a few on this forum who claim to speak it. You've probably come across them from time to time.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

When my mother is back in the homeland of Germany for too long she the verbs in the wrong place puts. But she's been doing that since long before Yoda became cool. Ausgezeichnete!

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

It would seem that there are some cloned female versions out there as well, and they show up at our Open Mic/Bike Nites and assume its going to be karaoke. They wind up disappointed, and sometimes mad... You would think when they see a full band setup and local musicians there hangin out and playing they would figure it out... and then they show up the following week expecting it to be different???

Your English is way better than any of us speak Flemish!

True, but I can totally dust him in Walloon.

No I can't.

Is Walloon a language that someone named Wally should be able to speak. I can't.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Your English is way better than any of us speak Flemish!

True, but I can totally dust him in Walloon.

No I can't.

Is Walloon a language that someone named Wally should be able to speak. I can't.

Wally

Haha, only if you live in the French part of Belgium, Wally :thu:

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Wally

Haha, only if you live in the French part of Belgium, Wally :thu:

It's probably where your ancestors came from, amd the language just didn't get passed down...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

It would seem that there are some cloned female versions out there as well, and they show up at our Open Mic/Bike Nites and assume its going to be karaoke.

That only works if (1) the jammers actually know covers, (2) they know covers sung by female vocalists, (3) the would be singer knows the same songs and (4) she knows the words (or can look them up on her smart phone).

At an annual party I've attended they decided to add an open jam this year. They had all the gear but no PA so I was tapped for that.

Things started out pretty well. A guy who said he was the lead singer for two bands got up and called out songs and they jammed the ones everyone (soft of) knew.

They didn't ask me to host the jam so I was in and out enjoying the party. I did sit in a couple times and lead them through some songs, including things like "White Rabbit" for the ladies to sing.

Slightly related, I've also been in bands without female vocalists that would have a couple songs on the set list for ladies to come up and (attempt to) sing. Usually she would be a friend of the band that could sing well.

Fortunately,the open mic/bike nites we host on Tuesdays and Wednesdays are at two biker bars we play at every month, and almost everyone who shows up are friends from other bands, and it usually goes well. Even if we have a train wreck, it's OK.. we're all friends anyway. We have a really tight community of musicians in NE Florida, and try and get out to each other's gigs and support each other as much as possible. All in all, its a great time and I love it... an occasional wanker isn't going to ruin it... :)

OK,

I'll respond.

I've seen that guy at a lot of blues bars. He always wants to sit in and then he plays way too many choruses. He must go from city to city around the country.

Always check the basement of the bar for pods. That's how they spread.

Play. Just play.

Don't forget harmonica guy!......he's got the hat, he has a vest.... he hovers just around the peripheral vision of the band leader..... hoping to catch his/her eye....

ONce he's invited to play 'a song' he's attached to the band like a wart. Blowing over everyone's solos, blowing over the vocals, and playing the same 3 licks over...and over..... and over.......

So when the bandleader says "lets give a big hand for our guest harmonica player" which is working musician code for "Get the %$*&( off the stage"... harmonica guy acknowledges the applause and asks what the key to the next tune is.

Every so often the clouds part and a ray comes down and it's the harmonica guy who is a tasty player, harmonizes with the horn player, and leaves holes for others to play......but that's usually a once, twice in a lifetime sort of event to be savored.

Don't forget harmonica guy!...... // Every so often the clouds part and a ray comes down and it's the harmonica guy who is a tasty player, harmonizes with the horn player, and leaves holes for others to play......but that's usually a once, twice in a lifetime sort of event to be savored.

Right before I quit the blues band over a dispute with the drummer, we had a Harmonica Guy come audition for us on vocals. He was not very good on vocals (not bad either, in fact, but still not very good) but man, he had some of the BEST harmonica licks you could imagine. Sadly, he still had a tendency to overplay and blow over anything and everything.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

there should be a postcard-sized agreement that harp players have to be signed by them before they can come on stage.

1. two song limit.. then get the hell off the stage UNLESS the band invites you to stay.

2. When the bandleader points at you, you can take a solo. you can only play two times through the changes, unless someone says 'keep going!'

3. when someone else is soloing, DON't blow over their solo

4. when someone is singing DON't Blow over the singing.

5. you can play along with the horn players when they're doing parts AS LONG AS you are trying to find good notes that fit the horn lines.....

can I get an Amen?

Archived