Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A slew of new Squiers

kenfxj

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We all want that one. Why don't we all chip in and each one of us keeps it for a month?

yeah, like that will ever work.

Have fun, boys. Four strings is already more than I can handle.

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

The six string Fender is just a guitar tuned down an octave.

Easy for any of us who also play guitar.

If I had that instrument, I'd tune it A to A so that it would be halfway between a bass and a guitar. Then it would be a baritone guitar.

My son has a Bari. It sounds really cool.

The (new) Vintage Modified Precision Bass Fretless looks seriously appealing (no, not appaling. Appealing) and along with that 5'er would really round out my collection nicely :eek: Soft spot for the VM Jazz fretless, too. And it comes in Sunburst, for the Connecticut Connoisseurs amongst us :)

Cool to see they offer the VM Jazz and the Jazz "70s as a leftie, though I wonder why they don't offer more leftie models! I want one in Olympic White, cos I've always wanted a bass in Olympic White!

If only I had more money :) Or, you know, any money!

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

intriguing.

http://www.bassplayer.com/Portals/7/svmcb.jpg

Agreed! Nice clean look with the pickguard. I like the Cabronita series (although still trying to figure out what the heck "Cabronita" is...). But, I have to agree with David because personally I'm spending my money on the Fretless P Bass. Oh Yeah.

http://assets.fender.com/frl/fdab4c6be7b632e13e7913ece4f6ede5/generated/86ceb3c861ac3d7b0737b2ccde488ca3.png

I've held off getting the Squier Fretless Jazz because...well, you know...I already have a Jazz. But nothing holding me back here. Sweeeet!!!

"Of all the world's bassists, I'm one of them!" - Lug

I think I like the Olympic White the best for the Bass VI. I see this is a far more authentic and appealing take than the earlier pawn Shop Bass VI. I don't see a fully branded Fender version but thought there was one earlier. Maybe it's filed under guitars at their website; whereas these other two models are filed under basses.

There are a few additional models at the Fender website that aren't on the initial link above. One is a five string active Jaguar Bass with P/J configuration.

All told, there are 15 new models, not just the 11 listed at Bass Player.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I guess the Cabronita is like a regular 34" scale version of the Gretsch Electromatic Bass (although that one might be chambered or semi-hollow). Or maybe it's a variant on the original Tele-bass?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I like the Cabronita series (although still trying to figure out what the heck "Cabronita" is...).

I'm waiting for them to release the Chupacabra series. I might enjoy that.

:laugh:

I like the Cabronita series (although still trying to figure out what the heck "Cabronita" is...).

"Cabron" means "born out of wedlock", and is an insult, the same as it's English equivalent. It is a masculine term. For an adult female, it would be "cabrona". Cabronita means "illegitimate little girl".

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

"Cabron" means "born out of wedlock", and is an insult, the same as it's English equivalent. It is a masculine term. For an adult female, it would be "cabrona". Cabronita means "illegitimate little girl".

I think that's terrible.

Here's Fender's official demo of the Squier Vintage Modified Bass VI:

I found a lot of other YouTube demos of the new models tonight, and only one of them impressed me in the tiniest bit, and probably only because the Bass VI was buried in the mix:

Overall, I don't like the sound of the Squier bass VI at all; it's very unfocused and unbalanced (and I heard two dozen demos all told). The pawn Shop version OTOH, in spite of being aberrant with its humbucking bridge PUP, sounded closer to the "original" to my ears (even Schecter's revised Hellcat VI with three Seymour Duncan Jaguar PUP's didn't quite do it for me):

In that comparison vs. the Fender Mustang Bass, the latter sounds a bit more focused and articulate to me, but seems to lack substance (no wonder; it's a 30" short scale bass).

For point of reference on the Bass VI, here's a demo of an actual Fender MIJ version from 2012 (not sure if it's available stateside):

And here's The Beatles' Hey Jude for how we'd all like our Bass VI to sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3jCYm_QGZQ

It's funny how my favourite Beatles bass lines were played by Lennon or (in this case) Harrison, and my favourite leads were played by McCartney. :-)

The new Cabronita Bass sounds bloody awful to my ears; all sustain and no attack (could be the player though):

I also found demos of all of the other new models, but am not linking the Fretless P-Bass demo because the guy's intonation was intolerable.

I also found demos of all of the other new models, but am not linking the Fretless P-Bass demo because the guy's intonation was intolerable.

Watched it yesterday and I actually thought something seemed off (which really says something since I usually can't tell the difference to save my life).

Also...what a bass insult! "Good sir - your intonation is INTOLERABLE."

One would think with their ties to Mexico and being headquartered so close to the border someone would have had a clue. Somebody probably thought it sounded cool.

Of course they know what it means. It's just their way of marketing the instrument by giving it a name that's a little "bad" and foreign. The BC Rich Bich was the same thing.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

The Chevy Nova didn't work out so well.

No Va means doesn't go in Spanish.

The Chevy Navajo was another. Native Americans buy a lot of pickup trucks and no one in any other tribe would touch that vehicle.

The Ford Apache was an even bigger mistake. Look up the history of wars between tribes.

Staying O.T., I meant to comment on this earlier myself, as my Mexican housemate owns a Nova and it is his most treasured possession, in spite of the fact that it is no longer drivable. :-) That's actually because someone sideswiped it though.

He may scrap it for parts, but he did say the name thing was not an issue as it is one word and of course it's Latin and unlike modern Italians (this was a surprise to me when I worked for an Italian firm and tried to bridge the language gap by using Latin-rooted English words), most Spanish-speaking people still have strong Latin roots in their word comprehension.

Back on-topic, Bananas in San Rafael CA expects to grab some or all of these new models when they become available -- not sure Guitar Center will bother. They think likely availability is closer to October but maybe late September -- though Fender may roll them out one at a time vs. all at once.

They think likely availability is closer to October but maybe late September -- though Fender may roll them oout one at a time vs. all at once.
Musician's Friend already has my (yes, I'm calling it "my") fretless P up for preorder, with an expected ship date of 8/16. Same thing for a couple of the other ones, looks like. As to when the local GC will get them, who knows.

(Side note - the now notorious Cabronita is already listed as a Best Seller on the GC website. I'm curious what the definition of "best seller" is...)

Archived