Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Calluses

98HondaCivic

I've been playing for 3 years, exclusively fingerstyle, and I'm having issues with my right hand calluses. I play with my thumb anchored on the bridge pickup, about 3 inches up from the saddle, where the strings are very taut. I also play extreme metal, so I strike through the strings very hard to get an aggressive tone. What damage this causes my fingertips is apparently too much to maintain calluses, because what has happened every few months is that a gnarly callus builds up, to the point of it making a clear tak tak noise if I tap on a hard surface, and then a blister forms under the callus, the callus comes off, and I'm back to square one.

Has anyone else had this problem? I've done a fair bit of googling, but most posts are about building initial calluses. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hmmmm... initial callouses = good. what you describe... I don't know. I don;t have that issue... but I play like a P*ss...

How about a pick?... I know, I know... I am sure you thought of that...

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

What Ross said: Use a pick. Or just crank your amp and play normal.

(Ha! Switch to Country Music! Ha! You slay me, Mr. C!)

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

You can't have your underpants ... er ... callouses and eat them, too.

Yeah. Anyway ...

Seems to me you've got exactly three choices ... build the callouses the hard way, use a pick or play closer to the neck.

I guess there's a fourth ... Moises Alou of the Chicago Cubs used to pee on his hands to toughen them. I think that might be a little extreme.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Wear gloves?

Put adhesive tape on your fingers?

Coat your fingertips with superglue?

Use an overdrive pedal to make the sound more aggressive?

Switch to country music?

I use a Darkglass B3K for overdrive, I've found if I play lighter on it I get fuzz... which I despise. I don't think my band would appreciate it if I just played staccato 4ths Marshall Grant style to their death metal riffs. However, the tape is not a bad idea.

Seems to me what you're describing is not a "problem:" it's probably your body's natural response to having thick calluses on your fingertips. Let's face it, having them there isn't natural--your fingertips were designed for sensitivity. After a while, your body wants to revert to its normal state.
"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

I guess you can take the approach of avoiding callouses all together. (Everyone: "I guess you can take the approach of avoiding callouses") I don't exactly know how you would do this without stopping often to moisturize, grab a piece of greasy chicken for instance, but it may be worth researching. I once had to use a plantar wart remover for a stubborn callus that was giving me a problem on my foot.

Roundwounds may ease the issue a bit, you can also try lighter strings or ones with less tension. I think a technique change (hand position) may be an option as well. Although you may notice sonic differences in equipment or technique, they may be lost on your bandmates and audience.

On your next round of fresh skin, I would definitely try the superglue.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

I would still describe it as a problem. Dying horribly is your body's natural response to suffering multiple stab-wounds to the face, and I think most people would consider that a problem.

stab wounds to the face....... holy sh*t!! hahahahahahaha...

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

I would still describe it as a problem. Dying horribly is your body's natural response to suffering multiple stab-wounds to the face, and I think most people would consider that a problem.

Where I grew up in Philly, we called that "Natural Causes".

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

And who is that guy on the list who uses the grease from the side of his nose to slick things up a bit? Don't do that.

But seriously, maybe lighter strings that will over-excite with less pressure? Maybe play soft and regular for the verse and only go bananas on the chorus? That would add depth and texture to the song in a good way without making you bleed to death by the second break.

I've played gigs where I had to use my thumb for the last set. I've since just cranked the volume control instead. When someone says I'm too loud, I just back off on my fingers.... but I still have to pretend to lower the volume to keep the stink-eye at bay.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Nolan Ryan would soak his fingers in pickle juice to toughen the callouses. I personally would experiment with different overdrive pedals to grouch up your sound.
Push the button Frank.

But seriously, maybe lighter strings that will over-excite with less pressure? Maybe play soft and regular for the verse and only go bananas on the chorus? That would add depth and texture to the song in a good way without making you bleed to death by the second break.

A little background, I play in a death metal band... so... what's a chorus?

I recently switched from extra heavy (115-55) to heavy (110-50), so I might try going for medium. I'm a little afraid of too much clicking, but whatever. I'll definitely try the tape and report back. Thanks for the help guys.

I would lighten the touch of your playing a little. Turn your amp up a little more. Your digging in so hard probably cause you can't hear yourself, common enough in a metal scenario.

You will be able to play faster if you lighten your touch which is normally fairly desirable in Death Metal.

Any links to your stuff??

1) I'm trying to watch and listen to videos, but the sound is very, very distorted and I can't hear the bass and barely can hear the drums.

2) The "bridge" of a song is a common part of the song structure.

Often songs have verses and choruses and then a contrasting part called the bridge. The bridge is often in different key and has a different feel than the verses and the choruses.

3) I am now using a Zvex Distortorn pedal to give edge to my sound on heavier tunes. It's part of the new Vexter series of pedals so wasn't as pricey as other Zvex pedals. If I use a lighter touch when using the pedal, there is no distortion at all and when I play harder, the sound resembles an overdriven SVT.

Yeah, the camera we have was not made to record a heavy metal concert, sorry about that. I was joking about not knowing what a chorus is, but your definition of a bridge was comprehensive. The bridge in Guilty changes from C# Aeolian to C# Blues Pentatonic, which I think is pretty nifty, but you probably can't tell because of the mic.

And who is that guy on the list who uses the grease from the side of his nose to slick things up a bit?

That be me, don't need to do it often these days but have had periods in my life of playing where it worked good for me.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

I recently switched from extra heavy (115-55) to heavy (110-50), so I might try going for medium. I'm a little afraid of too much clicking, but whatever.

If you play lighter gauge just as hared, they likely will click. But the idea is to NOT have to play as hard to get the tone you're after. I tend to dig in pretty good, but nothing like that. You need to adjust your playing to not have that happen and make adjustments elsewhere to accommodate.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Archived