Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MIDI note range on 88 note keyboards please!

Hobo

Hi, I have some gigs in China coming up with rented 88 note back line.

So I need to set up my software to work with an 88 note machine but I'll not know what it is till I get there, and with it being a festival, we'll probably only get a 10 minute changeover, so I'd like to be as best prepared as possible. If I remember right different manufacturers use different note ranges over MIDI.... Anyone know what they are?

Also what's China like to gig?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think you need to worry about this: Middle C is always Note#60. If I'm not mistaken, this is a universal standard.

There's some disagreement over whether Middle C should be called C3 or C4 in the manuals, etc; but that's purely academic. Practically, your software simply sees it as Note#60, so there shouldn't be any confusion.

I've switched between Yamaha, Casio (88s and 61s) and Korg (61) with the same laptop, and never had to adjust anything on the software.

- Guru

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

Thanks Guru. So on 88 notes the lowest note is A-1 ? Anyone know what the note is for a 76 note off hand?

Most 76'ers have E as the lowest note, but some have F (same goes for 73-key boards). There might be an odd one that has C down there.

Thanks Guru. So on 88 notes the lowest note is A-1 ? Anyone know what the note is for a 76 note off hand?

Perhaps one of us is missing something here.

The point I made above is this: there isn't any danger of software playing the wrong notes (or even the wrong octave...!). Forget whether the bottom note in an 88er is A-1 or A0 - that's just a naming convention. Midi only transmits note number, not name. So when you play it, the right note will sound... :thu:

Perhaps a lot of confusion can be avoided if you were a bit more specific as to what you're worried might go wrong.

Taking a wild guess - is it that you need to setup split-points/zones? If so, zones setup on any 88-note board will remain intact with any other 88-note board.

However, if you're not sure whether the controller will be 88, 77, 76, 73, 64 or 61 keys - then things get a bit hairy with zones.... :P. The middle zones would remain intact, but you would miss out notes on the lowest and highest zones. A conservative approach would be warranted.

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

Archived