Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need some encouragement

Littidy

So, I'm normally a key player and have been for quite some time. This last weekend a group that I'd previously 'jammed' with asked me if I could help them out on a gig .... on bass. Ofcourse I said sure, then I bought a 5 string Squire Deluxe on Tuesday and am learning 40 songs by Sunday for a mid week gig on Wednesday. Totally doable right? Lol. Anyway, it's fairly blues riff driven stuff and I'm a huge fan of the bass. It's literally the first instrument I listen for in every song, then drums, then vocals...then usually the stuff I need to learn or should listen for. Anyway, learning that many songs... is there a preferred method for cheating using an iPad? I have ultimate guitar app but what would you guys use to trigger your mind on certain signature lines and fills in a song. I hear most of it in my head, but I'm afraid I'll lose it while translating to fingers during a gig with so little time to prepare. Stupid post I know. But it's half a vent and half a serious question post. Thanks bassists, I much admire your work! ;)

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:facepalm:

your fingers are going to hurt unless you have been playing bass....

Let us know if you pull this off....

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

I was going to go with the "Ultimate Guitar" (wince) path, but you are already there.

Sometimes, it's better to stay in the pocket and lock the kick and high hat than going out on a tear and getting lost. Your call.

Good luck.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

thanks... yeah I'm worried about cramping... i've been pulling off 2-3 hours a night of practice on it... but i'm just hoping I don't have to carry the drummer cause it may be a root note fest all night in that case. My fall back is key bass. But, I love the bass so much that I'm trying hard not to go to the easy route. Plus, no offense to the jazz trio lovers..but I tend to hate key bass/organ bass... just not a preference. However, in this case, the audience may prefer the key bass.. lol. j/k

I'm cheating on tone a bit too... bass to irig with pocket gk and JamUP apps running then to a QSC K10... not gonna be much boom but the tone is not as bad as I thought it'd be.. I tried my Roland KC500 too.. QSC was the winner... I have a peavey 15 and a pa head that I could use too... but K10 is doing good so far.

You could use the iPad and write notes for yourself and then turn the pages.

I play with several people who are using iPads and turning pages, but I would have to take a hand off the bass to turn a page.

I'm going the old fashioned way...paper and pencil. Everything is in a notebook and nothing requires a page turn. The notebook is hidden on stage and people in the audience don't notice that I look at music occasionally.

Ofcourse I said sure, then I bought a 5 string Squire Deluxe on Tuesday and am learning 40 songs by Sunday for a mid week gig on Wednesday. Totally doable right? Lol.

Anyway, learning that many songs... is there a preferred method for cheating using an iPad? I have ultimate guitar app but what would you guys use to trigger your mind on certain signature lines and fills in a song. I hear most of it in my head, but I'm afraid I'll lose it while translating to fingers during a gig with so little time to prepare. Stupid post I know. But it's half a vent and half a serious question post. Thanks bassists, I much admire your work! ;)

I did the reverse back in the 80's. Joined a band that was half keys/half electric bass. I'd never played keys before - bought a DX-7 and went to work. Initially, I just focused on the groove and recognizable riffs and locking in with the drummer. I knew the notes (in my head) but the technique took some time.

Make the songs work, and add the finesse later...

EDIT: iPad (i-anything) didn't exist back in those dark dark (pre-digital)days of the 80's...can't help you there...

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

And when you forget a riff, fake it well. Thump the rhythms with indiscriminate pitches by just kinda muting the strings. Only the drummer will notice. Then come back in at the chorus with authority.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

And when you forget a riff, fake it well. Thump the rhythms with indiscriminate pitches by just kinda muting the strings. Only the drummer will notice. Then come back in at the chorus with authority.

I do the same thing. If I blow a downbeat or get lost, I'll just start noodl'ing around with notes in the key until I come back to the *one* and then I really anchor it. Depending on the mistake, I may even repeat it as to say that I meant it the first time! But to the OP, you've got a tall order. If I'm familiar with a song then I can say it on the bass, but if not? Listen, listen, listen! If you know where the changes are, then the rest is just feel. Especially with "blues riff driven stuff."

Hmmm... there's a market for a foot button for an iPad or Kindle, about the size of a half dollar, that you tap and it turns the page. No, two buttons side by side, one forward one back. Wired or wireless....
Push the button Frank.

IK makes this... http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigblueboard/

Btw, rehearsal went great... I played through near 40 songs at about an 80% accurate clip... ran direct to my QSC K10 and surprisingly it carried low enough tone to be serviceable. Gig tomorrow but I'm pleased and excited. Maybe I'll do it more often. Love the bass... thanks all! btw just used the Ultimate Guitar App and saved it all to it's own list... then just tapped it when the song was called. works pretty well...

and... alas.. gig day. All set to go, outdoor gig. CANCELLED due to 30% chance of rain. I'm so bummed. Thanks all. I will be a lurker here and will some day consider myself a bassist hopefully. Certainly a fun instrument and one worthy of way more time and effort by me.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived