Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

looking to get a new guitar

bigstew812

Does anyone know of a semi hollow, in the body style of a classic Gibson/Gretch single or double cutaway that has a =or< 10" radius neck, u contour and 1.75 nut?

not sure of all the specs but check out the older Korean-made Hamer Echotone, which was a 335 body with a Fender scale-length neck but a neck radius closer to Gibson... some people I know rave about that specific model. I have the later Chinese version which I paid $200 for and holds up well against the Gibson, considering... it's Gibson scale-length.

There's a couple of other USA Hamer semi-hollows that always looked inviting... the Newport and the Monaco.

That's kind of hard to find, but I WILL look.

In other words, does anyone know of a semi hollow jazz axe that plays like a fender?

I thought that was what you were trying to say.

I think that was the concept behind a couple of Hamer models...

the Monaco

http://www.hamerguitars.com/pics/models/MONRT_sm.jpg

NECK

Material: Mahogany

Shape: Vintage Round

Thickness: Vintage carve: .900

Binding: Single Ply Ivoroid

FINGERBOARD

Material: Rosewood

Radius: 14 1/2

Inlays: Victory

Fret Dimensions: Hamer Wide Oval: .100

Nut Type/Width: Ivory, 1.650

Scale Length: 25 1/2

and wasn't Elliot Easton's sig model Gretsch done to a Fender scale-length?

Fender seems too slow to re-issue the once despised/now desired Starcaster, so Bilt's done it and refined it...

http://www.biltguitars.com/the-guitars/the-zaftig.html

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone know of a semi hollow, in the body style of a classic Gibson/Gretch single or double cutaway that has a =or< 10" radius neck, u contour and 1.75 nut?

not sure of all the specs but check out the older Korean-made Hamer Echotone, which was a 335 body with a Fender scale-length neck but a neck radius closer to Gibson... some people I know rave about that specific model. I have the later Chinese version which I paid $200 for and holds up well against the Gibson, considering... it's Gibson scale-length.

There's a couple of other USA Hamer semi-hollows that always looked inviting... the Newport and the Monaco.

In other words, does anyone know of a semi hollow jazz axe that plays like a fender?

+ 1 Fender scale semi.

Guitar Speak Podcast

www.guitarspeakpodcast.libsyn.com

https://www.facebook.com/guitarspeakpodcast

www.itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/guitar-speak-podcast

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s593/AJA1967/image_zps082465ee.jpg

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s593/AJA1967/image_zps620009a7.jpg

That's a Jon Kammerer semihollow with 2 coil tapped Golden Age HBs. Scale length: 25.5". 24 Frets. Base-line version of it- last I checked- $995. Standard options include pickup configuration and choice of a few brands (I know he also uses SDs).

Jon's website was taken down by malware and is still in the rebuilding phase. He can be reached via Facebook.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

It sure is!

And like I said, if you're looking for a stratty semihollow, Jon's design there could be the way to go. Just opt for SSS or HSS instead of HH, and you're good to go!

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

by the way, The Voodoo Labs Giggity can make a Tele sound like a Les Paul...

I had my epiphany about Teles not sounding like Les Pauls a few decades pre-Giggity. Isn't it amazing how far technology has come in 40 years? These days, I think you could make any guitar sound like any other guitar, or any other instrument you wanted to, as long as you could afford the gear.

I don't know if it would be better to recommend a new guy to get into radically changing the tone of his new axe with boxes, or to tell him to go after a guitar that gives him the tone in his head au natural. Seems like there would be pros and cons to either approach.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I don't think the topic is "favorite artists" but if I was looking for a jazz/blues guitar and the recommendations were hovering around a 335, I would look at a guy like Larry Carlton on Youtube...

That was my point: what are his favorite artists using?

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

I don't think the topic is "favorite artists" but if I was looking for a jazz/blues guitar and the recommendations were hovering around a 335, I would look at a guy like Larry Carlton on Youtube...

That was my point: what are his favorite artists using?

And a good point, too!

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Don't rule out Hagstrom for hollow and semi-hollow in that price range. I've very impressed with what I've seen from them. I do think Godins are all but impossible to beat for the price, especially solid bodies, but people do occasionally upgrade the pups. I'll be doing that with at least one Freeway Classic soon. My buddy Dave sent me the Burstbuckers from his LP Std, and a Texas Special clone is on the way to replace the SC in it.

Back on topic, who are your favorite artists?

I'm sorry Bluesape, I thought you were saying we were getting off topic when you said "back on topic". I would agree that having a favorite artist can be a decision factor when buying a guitar too. In response I just named a pro that uses a 335. I now get your point (slow as I am at times)...

Take care, Larryz

I play a 73 Hag and I love the guitar. Do those new Chinese stencil brand guitars compare to the old guitars from Sweden?

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I play a 73 Hag and I love the guitar. Do those new Chinese stencil brand guitars compare to the old guitars from Sweden?

They're pretty damn good. I'm as guilty of bias in favor of US built guitars as the next guy, but they're getting better everywhere all the time.

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

They're pretty damn good. I'm as guilty of bias in favor of US built guitars as the next guy, but they're getting better everywhere all the time.

So true, particularly in the OP's budget there is SO much good stuff.

Guitar Speak Podcast

www.guitarspeakpodcast.libsyn.com

https://www.facebook.com/guitarspeakpodcast

www.itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/guitar-speak-podcast

Hey Big Stew,

Welcome to the forum!

Considering the fact that it seems that you will only have one guitar to begin with, I would probably recommend a semi-hollow, center block design. A full hollow body will tend to howl at high volume. As the other guys have observed, there are a bunch of good choices within your budget. I own an Epiphone Sheraton and it produces wonderful jazz tone and great blues tone at high volumes. This is probably true of most, if not all, center block semi-hollow designs.

As I think one of the other forum members mentioned, when it comes to "Jazz Tone", there's "jazz tone" and then there's "jazz tone". How do you define the term? Would you rather sound like Pat Martino,Joe Pass or Charlie Christian? All are jazz tones but are very different from each other.

Good Luck! Let me know if I can help.

If you play cool, you are cool.

by the way, The Voodoo Labs Giggity can make a Tele sound like a Les Paul...

I had my epiphany about Teles not sounding like Les Pauls a few decades pre-Giggity. Isn't it amazing how far technology has come in 40 years? These days, I think you could make any guitar sound like any other guitar, or any other instrument you wanted to, as long as you could afford the gear.

I don't know if it would be better to recommend a new guy to get into radically changing the tone of his new axe with boxes, or to tell him to go after a guitar that gives him the tone in his head au natural. Seems like there would be pros and cons to either approach.

Yep... maybe we should recommend a Vari-axe to everybody.

but I don't know if you know that Jimmy Page used a Tele and little Supro and Fender amps cranked all the way in the studio, then had to resort to the Les Paul and Marshall stacks onstage to replicate that full, enormous sound he couldn't get with the Tele onstage. Even funnier now that behind stages full of stacks some people still have little amps in a box cranked to 11 and mic'ed up.

Also, I had this pic come up in the back of my mind:

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f10/dagooch92/DuaneAllman1967001a_zps5bc9c29d.jpghttp://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k603/Rebelsoul62/DuanewithStratandslide.jpg

I know from sessions I've done that sometimes it's just weird... you're certain this guitar is what's needed and you try it and it doesn't get it, but for whatever reason another guitar you wouldn't think was needed nails it... then everyone who hears it mis-identifies it. Amps, rooms, mics, temperature, humidity, alignment of the stars... all a good excuse to have as many guitars as possible, I say!

+ 1 Fender scale semi.

This Conti Guitar looks pretty Darn Cool! Not the neck profile I was looking for to be a Jazz / Blues guitar, but 24 frets is always nice.

http://www.contiguitars.com/resources/blonde-front.jpg

The budget was $500 to $1,000 so I went with the Epi 335 Sheraton for $599 and mentioned it has the same EPI humbucker neck pickup as the Conti...if we can get up into the $1,600 range, I too would pick the Conti...you can get the two pickup model for the same price and they are made by one of the best jazz guitar makers out there...they are great guitars!
Take care, Larryz

http://jazzguitarzone.com/ <---- here is the company that makes them (Peerless) one top notch jazz guitar maker...the price has gone up to $1,900 on the Conti...

http://www.contiguitars.com/models-finishes.php <--- here are the different models and the Conti website...

Beautiful guitars with Robert Conti's name on it. He is one of the top jazz pros ever and is a great teacher with lots of DVD's out there. You can read the reviews and they are all great. He plays the same guitar in all of his instructional vids, with one humbucker made by Epiphone. I believe they are made in Europe...hope this was helpful!

ps. Update: got an email this morning from Conti and they are running a special price of $1,649 from now until June 1, 2013. After June 1st the price will be $1,785. New color available not shown can be ordered in Ruby Red (single pick up model). Does not come with a case, comes with a custom made gig bag and a tuner.

Take care, Larryz

Archived