Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Finding a past instructor / teacher / professor

tarkus

The master-class thread sparked the bulb.'

It's been almost 26 years since I graduated college.

In trying to go back to basics I've tried to find the former teachers and professors that helped me develop as a musician along the way.

It all begins with Felix Molzer when I was about 7 or 8 years old taking my first formal music classes.

Felix Passed away a few years ago, but he played an important formative part in the lives of many people regardless of their pursuit of music.

http://atl.gmnews.com/news/2005-08-04/Front_page/032.html

My classical guitar professor is currently teaching in Nashville (Francis Perry) - great teacher and a great player.

http://www.belmont.edu/music/faculty/faculty_current/perry_francis.html

Several other colege prof's have either passed away or I can't seem to locate.

I did manage to find Bill Rhodes on a few Youtube clips.

He's a great player and was a pioneer in teaching electronic music & synthesis. Craig Anderton's pamphlet "Applied Synthesis" was our textbook.

Here's Bill:

[video:youtube]

[video:youtube]

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I recently got back with a teacher of mine who was very formative for me 10 years ago, a jazz player named Kamau Kenyatta down here in San Diego (he's the cat that introduced Greg Phillinagines to jazz when they were kids in Detroit). At this point I am an established player myself, but I was blown away by how many ideas and how much focus I gained from taking 90 mins with him and letting a musical dialogue flow.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

tarkus,

Bill Rhodes was a teacher of yours? I used to work with him back in the 80's in Edison NJ. We both worked the keyboard department at the local music store. I remember when he was recording his records at the time; I think I even helped him design his record label logo back then. As a matter of fact, I ran into him at last year's NAMM, where he was working for one of the Italian speaker companies.

Great player, funny guy. Plays very loud from what I recall. :laugh:

I might have his business card around here somewhere.

tarkus,

Bill Rhodes was a teacher of yours? I used to work with him back in the 80's in Edison NJ. We both worked the keyboard department at the local music store. I remember when he was recording his records at the time; I think I even helped him design his record label logo back then. As a matter of fact, I ran into him at last year's NAMM, where he was working for one of the Italian speaker companies.

Great player, funny guy. Plays very loud from what I recall. :laugh:

I might have his business card around here somewhere.

Small world. Yeah Bill was an adjunct Prof at Monmouth College when I attended. He encouraged me to improve my playing and made synthesis a fun pursuit.

He did a few concerts at the school, one performance was top notch. A year later he does another concert, I help him set up. A sound guy shows up with huge horns and bins... :0

And there is Bill with a JX8P and a midi module playing at ear-splitting volume. lol! It was a deafening performance!

Outside the theater Some woman walks up to me and says "what the hell is happening in there?"

He was playing some pretty wild improvs lol!

Archived