Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help! NEED an 88 weighted DP w/ Hammond clone live rig!

surreal mccoy

So Casio is introducing an upgraded PX3? I wasn't aware of this...if so, that would be great! :cool:

Check the pic toward the bottom of this page:

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2457351/7

I'm thinking that this Casio and the 88 key SK1 could be a very cool combo. 88 piano friendly keys, 88 organ friendly keys, compact and lightweight, drawbars and other real-time controls, and between the two, probably enough good quality bread-and-butter sounds go get you through most gigs pretty nicely. It would be great if the new Casio had some flash into which you could load custom samples. If not, an iPad could possibly fill that role. I'd rather have the pitch and mod wheels on the unweighted board, but I could live with them on the weighted one. I'd still miss the aftertouch, since my left hand is often too busy to operate a mod wheel, but this would still be a nice light and capable combo. For gigs where you want a little more, the MIDI functionality of these boards should make it pretty easy to integrate, not just an iPad sound source, but any rack module you might want to add for an increased sonic palette. (Integra 7, Motif, whatever.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow! That Casio looks very interesting....

I just wish Hammond offered better/ stronger non-organ voices with the SK1.

I'm still thinking that for my particular applications, the NE4D might be the best answer along with (hopefully) the new mysterious 88 key Casio board....?

I guess I'll know a lot more on Thursday... :)

Thanks again AnotherScott for all your great info!

Not to be a total pain....... but in addition to arriving to Anaheim today for NAMM..... I found a Nord Electro 73 to sample at Sam Ash......

I absolutely hated the "F" to "F" keyboard along with the semi-weighted action.... definitely not to play B3 parts on....I'm hoping that the "C" to "C" does in fact have waterfall keys with an actual organ action..... I guess I'll find out tomorrow......here's keeping my fingers crossed....

Who makes a 73-key C-C? That would be my favorite 73-key layout. I think I'd be fine with a 61-key top board, but I have a 74-key one simply because I also use it by itself for rehearsals etc.

Before I added the bottom E to my NE2/73, I'd have been better off with a 61. I never did get used to the bottom key being F.

Who makes a 73-key C-C?

The Numa Organ, and assorted Korgs come to mind (including the new Krome).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Wow! That Casio looks very interesting....

I just wish Hammond offered better/ stronger non-organ voices with the SK1.

If the non-organ voices you need are strong enough in the Casio, maybe you don't need them to be in your second-tier board, especially if your second-tier board has enough MIDI flexibility to easily trigger sounds that are in your 88. Have you been able to try the action on the SK1?

Yes, I played the SK1 (61,73,88) + SK2 along with the Numa organ & the NE4D/ NE4 73 compact & Nord Stage 2 73 compact. All of these board's action would suffice except as I said earlier, a 73 note board "F" to "F" feels awkward and just doesn't seem right.

My BIG question now is more about the actual Hammond clone B3 voices themselves.....will they suffice onstage....?

I think I might see a Roland VR-09 in your future.

The VR-09 seems like a great value entry-mid level all around light weight board. I wish I could've actually had a "hand's on" with it as opposed to listening to a small booth demo @ NAMM. The voices sounded a bit compressed. And since they chose to demo often emphasizing the looper, I really couldn't decipher too close as far as individual voice quality. But hey....@ $999.....one shouldn't be too picky.... :/

Archived