Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Played a LP Studio for the first time

Fred_C

I was at a friend's house yesterday and got to play an LPS. I thought it played very well and had a well defined and articulated tone. :thu:

I know this is not earth shattering news. I just thought I'd mention it.

If you play cool, you are cool.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Larry,

Good to hear from you. I wanted to send you a PM, but see that you don't accept them.

I wanted to thank you for essentially turning me on to Youtube. I had no idea that there was so much great guitar music out there. I am old fashioned and don't subscribe to "social media" sites (except this one).

Let me return the favor. Two vocalists for you to check out: Sophie Milman and Eliane Elias (pronounced El-lee-ahn-ah El-lee-as). She is the Brazilian Bossa Nova equivalent of Diana Krall. Nice voice, great piano chops. :wave:

I used to have a particularly excellent '97 Les Paul Studio Ruby "Gem" that had P-90 "soap-bars"; GREAT guitar. Miss that guitar...

Large Photo Image

Wanted one of these bad in the '90s... a local music store had the blue one in the window, way overpriced (which confused me... I talked to a guy there, it was new stock, they were asking more than the list price, but he went on about it being a "limited edition yadda yadda yadda...).

Hey Larry,

Good to hear from you. I wanted to send you a PM, but see that you don't accept them.

I wanted to thank you for essentially turning me on to Youtube. I had no idea that there was so much great guitar music out there. I am old fashioned and don't subscribe to "social media" sites (except this one).

Let me return the favor. Two vocalists for you to check out: Sophie Milman and Eliane Elias (pronounced El-lee-ahn-ah El-lee-as). She is the Brazilian Bossa Nova equivalent of Diana Krall. Nice voice, great piano chops. :wave:

I didn't know I wasn't accepting PM's but that's a good thing as I never check them anyway. You can always catch me here Fred! I dig your posts and appreciate you for all of the good information you impart as it leads me in new and old directions. Youtube has to be the best thing out there for us musicians and you can learn so much and listen to just about anything you can imagine, type-in and google on. I wish we had this when I was a 13 year old kid with that old Stella, it would have saved so much time trying to learn blues, jazz, Rock & Roll, Ventures, Elvis, Orbison, not to mention looking up and comparing guitars, amps and other equipment, etc...I'll check out Sophie and Eliane shortly and I think of you now that I'm working on the chords to I Left My Heart In San Franciso...take care, Larryz :thu:

Cool chicks with cool piano licks...while checking them out on youtube I thought of an old favorite in the jazz vein

that's just unforgettable...

PS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm3_LBJgVDE <----for your listening pleasure... :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Gibson has expanded the Studio line of Les Pauls, SGs and Firebirds in some interesting ways these days. 60s and 70s Studio Tribute models... P90 pickups, mini-humbuckers... cool finishes... all in ways that make me visually not miss the binding and trim stuff they leave off, though you don't "hear" that stuff anyway (and I like more understated guitars, personally) which is why they called them "Studio" models, as in not visually-oriented for the stage.

I didn't know I wasn't accepting PM's but that's a good thing as I never check them anyway. You can always catch me here Fred! I dig your posts and appreciate you for all of the good information you impart as it leads me in new and old directions. Youtube has to be the best thing out there for us musicians and you can learn so much and listen to just about anything you can imagine, type-in and google on. I wish we had this when I was a 13 year old kid with that old Stella, it would have saved so much time trying to learn blues, jazz, Rock & Roll, Ventures, Elvis, Orbison, not to mention looking up and comparing guitars, amps and other equipment, etc...I'll check out Sophie and Eliane shortly and I think of you now that I'm working on the chords to I Left My Heart In San Franciso...take care, Larryz :thu:

Cool chicks with cool piano licks...while checking them out on youtube I thought of an old favorite in the jazz vein that's just unforgettable...

PS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm3_LBJgVDE <----for your listening pleasure... :cool:

Hey Larry,

1. Turn on the PM function, it's easier to communicate on topics that may not be of interest to the entire forum, e.g. price negotiation on a new instrument or an esoteric discussion of chord fingerings. You don't have to "check it". If someone sends you a PM, a nifty little envelope flashes on your "Mystuff" icon.

2. Yeah, young guitarists today have an endless array of resources available to them that we didn't have. Hell, I remember tuning with a tuning fork. We didn't need no stinking electronic tuners!!

3. Thanks for the kind words. I try to make a positive contribution to the forum.

4. With regard to I Left My Heart in SF . Are you working on a solo, a comp, both?

5. Thanks for the Natalie Cole video. Really nice.

Gibson has expanded the Studio line of Les Pauls, SGs and Firebirds in some interesting ways these days. 60s and 70s Studio Tribute models... P90 pickups, mini-humbuckers... cool finishes... all in ways that make me visually not miss the binding and trim stuff they leave off, though you don't "hear" that stuff anyway (and I like more understated guitars, personally) which is why they called them "Studio" models, as in not visually-oriented for the stage.

I always say, you can't hear cosmetics. Another factor to consider - most of the more affordable Gibson Studio models have the same pups you'll find in the next grade up, so the sound is the same.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

OK Fred try a PM...on SF, I'm working on a solo act rendition and it's coming along. I have always wanted to play and sing this song and I'm finally getting around to it! Lots of chords to work with and I'm going from complex to simplify and back again, just kicking ideas around...I never play note for note and I know I'm no Toni Bennett. I checked out Dean Martins' Rat Pack version on Youtube and liked the way he uses a low vocal register, it gives me hope for skipping the high notes as I get older...doing it in Cmaj7.

ps. got your PM and respoding...once I figure out how the PM reply system works, we can swap some chords!

Take care, Larryz

Sorry I spelled Toni Bennett as a girl's name, thanks for letting me know. Since the 24hr rule won't let me go back and edit it: here's to Tony! Got to let this thread get back to LP Studio's which I think are great guitars. I had always thought it was named for the ability to do Studio work until I figured out they were the cheaper model (as pointed out by WP) due to the lack of cosmetics for stage work. Deer hunters use the same logic "you can't eat the horns" which means a small forked horn tastes better than an old stag with a huge rack... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

• 2 weeks later...

p90 is right. The Les Paul Studios have come a long way as far as options go. I bought one a few years back when they offered one with a 60s neck. It also has Burstbuckers and I love the tone.

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/8039/myrig.jpg

Les Paul Studio Deluxe, '74 Guild S100, '64 Strat, JCM 900 Combo, Peavey Classic 30 1x12, Peavey Classic 30 Head, CBG

Hey, I know I'm shallow, but I have to say, an LP just doesn't LOOK right without binding. To me.

A lot of people don't like them without pick guards either.

Les Paul Studio Deluxe, '74 Guild S100, '64 Strat, JCM 900 Combo, Peavey Classic 30 1x12, Peavey Classic 30 Head, CBG

Looks cool to me too...I can do without the binding on the cheaper modles and go for the sound and feel...if you're paying 2grand, you need some bindings and other cool looking stuff...the bindings are not just for looks, they protect the body from dings outside of the studio, but if you take care of the studio model, it should work just fine...
Take care, Larryz

Looks cool to me too...I can do without the binding on the cheaper modles and go for the sound and feel...if you're paying 2grand, you need some bindings and other cool looking stuff...the bindings are not just for looks, they protect the body from dings outside of the studio, but if you take care of the studio model, it should work just fine...

I like the looks of mine just fine and I play the shit of it. It doesn't stay in the studio and if it gets banged up a little, that's OK.

These below and the 60s Tribute Goldtop Studios talk to me...

http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/quality,85/rotate,45/LPSTUPBCH1_-afeacefe7f2a8e27475c02879d787701.jpg

http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/quality,85/rotate,45/LPSTUIGCH1_-04768a32941e5d1cf6a200062dfe194a.jpg

I like the looks of mine just fine and I play the shit of it. It doesn't stay in the studio and if it gets banged up a little, that's OK.

I hate dings and rarely play in a studio other than my own music room. If I have to have a ding, I want to be the one who put it there. Nothing wrong with having a roadworthy axe and getting maximum use out of it! :thu:

Take care, Larryz

ASFAIC, ya pay a helluva lot more for binding and extra weight. If I can snag another LP, it'll likely be another Studio. Like all Gibsons, the QC can be inconsistent, and ya gotta sift through a bunch sometimes. The one I own, to me, is the best feeling LP I've ever held, regardless of price, and I scoped out LP's for over 30 years.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Archived