Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I'm in SF... now what?

We're in Berkeley, actually, visiting a son and getting some medical follow-up for my wife. What a place! My main impression is of endless driving around punctuated by stopping for a while to do whatever we started out to do in the first place. Murphy's law must have a Bay Area corollary that says "If you're in the East Bay there must be something you need to do in SF and vice versa". It feels good to be around lots of different kindsa folks again... mostly just us whities in Medford. I'm in the Tibetan neighborhood right now.
Rubber Lizard Studio

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1) Find Baker Beach, just s of GG Bridge 2) Visit Haught Ashbury area. 3) Go to the Drumming circle in the park (GG Park) 4) Find redwoods. Ponder them. (Muir woods near Tiburon, or better, Armstrong Grove in Guerneville) 5) Climb Devils Slide if you dare..( S of Pacifica on the highway/cliffs.) There is an abandoned artillery bunker at the top. 6) Go to Viansa Winery...Very cool, on the main drag near Sonoma I believe.. 7) Go look at the city from Twin Peaks. Ask someone, they will tell you where (2 hills with huge aerials on them) Great view of the bay area. 8) Go to Castro and walk around, and China Town

If you like Jazz go to Yohshi's at Jack London Square in Oakland. If you like rock, try the Fillmore, on Fillmore and Geary in San Francisio. Or do what I do when I go to the Bay Area, look in the newpapers and find the entertainment section. It's a big place with lots to do, not as much as NY or Chicago though.

Alright! Chinatown is on the list for tomorrow. 'Fraid I won't make much else on the list, though. And we're enjoying the good restaurants. It's really kind of neat, staying in a tiny appartment right under the Bart, remembering what it was like when we had nothing. Imagine what a paradise this was before people came in large numbers, with these beautiful hills rolling right down to the water. Thanks for the suggestions!
Rubber Lizard Studio

Drive through Golden Gate Park, visit the Presidio, visit Coit Tower, drive down Lombard St., take a cable car ride, walk around Fisherman's Wharf, (use the public automatic toilet while you're there), visit Chinatown. There is a ton of stuff to do and most of this stuff is what folks will ask you if you did.. And make sure your wife has two guys with her at all times. That way when one falls in love, she still has a ride homw..

Mark G.

"A man may fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame others" -- John Burroughs

"I consider ethics, as well as religion, as supplements to law in the government of man." -- Thomas Jefferson

If you like Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker, since you're in Berkeley anyway, you might enjoy this version called 'The Hard Nut' ! http://www.calperfs.berkeley.edu/presents/season/2003/dance/events/hard_nut/hardnut_center_cntnt_og.html Like they say, when in Rome... my wife and I will be at the show tomorrow night. Hope your wife gets a little R&R too amongst the doctors and medicines. Grab some vinyl from Ameoba records while you're there - remember back when sounds were sounds and men were ... oh well - have a successful trip ! :) kylen

My son says Castro is where everyone goes for halloween. I remember my wife saying, long ago, that I would be well liked there. Thanks for all the suggestions about things to do, especially Kylen, who's suggestion was less touristy and would be my choice. All the hikes sound great, as well. Unfortunately we don't really have much kickin' around time. I will be disappointed if we don't eat at Pasand, though... I'd love to check out Yoshi's, but The Freight & Salvage is totally my speed. Lisbeth used to work there when it was in it's original spot. I'd love to check out the singer-songwriter scene, and acoustic music. I was more interested in seeing who would chime in. I'd sure love to meet some of you someday. Anyway, I'm on Gilmour St. about to head out for the day's errands and appointments. Then, if we make it back from SF in time, Indian food on Shattuck Ave!
Rubber Lizard Studio

- The 49-mile scenic drive is a good place to start. - Visit the Marina west of the FIsherman's Wharf area for beautiful views of the GG Bridge. - Drive across the bridge and take some photos from the Marin Headlands. - Visit the Point Bonita Light house if it's open. - Take a stroll throught the Muir Woods. - Go to Haight Ashbury and look for the mural with Jimi Hendrix and Gerry Garcia. - Visit City Hall (beautiful building). - Take in an IMAX film. - Go to a museum. - Catch a play. - Climb up to Coit Tower. - Eat lunch or dinner at Ana Mandara. - Take a stroll through the Palace of the Arts. - Window shop in Chinatown. - Eat sushi at Japan town. - Two words: Jamba Juice. - Explore Golden Gate park and The Presidio. - Find Land's End and Baker Beach. - Walk around downtown and try to find different views of the Transamerica building. - Take a trolley car ride. - So see sea lions at Fisherman's Wharf and get view of Alcatraz Island. - Hang around in the snooty galleries in Fisherman's Wharf and make it clear that you're not there to buy anything. :D - Spend the afternoon in Sausalito. - Hike Mr. Tamalpais or Pt. Reyes. (I think I just convinced myself to take another trip to the Bay area.)

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Hey Mark. Go to the Joy Luck Club(yes a real restaurant) and tell them you know me(Steve Sykes), then.... ask to speak to Maria, she's one of the owners. If she's not there pretend to be dissapointed. If you follow these steps as I have outlined, you are sure assured of having a good time.

Dang! A virtual Wewus sighting! Steve, aren't you in the area now? Man, this place is HUGE. To me, Seattle is a major metropolitan area... Of all thre lists people sent, Dan South's is most compelling. I'm hoping to get a family snapshot to include in our anual Christmas letter - that Hendrix/Garcia mural would be the greatest backdrop! Really. If you just come to a place like this for a few days there's no way to grok it. I see so many people, and they all have whole LIVES here. So many different ways to live! Help me imagine a life here in the Bay area: I would not want to spend much time in traffic. I would want to be walking distance from a local acoustic music scene where I could meet other musicans. I'd need a little space for my songwriter studio. Ignoring the fact that I have to make a living, where should I live? Houseboat in Sausalito?
Rubber Lizard Studio

Archived