Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Playing Outside ( I mean harmony, not location... heh heh)

Funk Jazz

So I've been working more and more on creating 'outside' lines in more or less normal playing situations. i.e., over the V chord in a blues.

Mostly I've been going to the Diminished scale, sometimes from the root, or sometimes a half step up from the root to get more angular. Think Robben Ford.

I've also found that with dominant 7 chords, you can go up a minor third from the root of the chord, and play typical mixolydian ideas and get a pretty cool 'bop' outside sound.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has some good stuff they're playing around with that they would like to share?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Re: "playing outside" - yes, I know what you're talking about here - but it also reminds me of a famous picture of Albert Collins playing OUTSIDE the Bottom Line, that late lamented club in Manhattan.

He must have had a long cord! (I don't think they used wireless too much back then...)

Playing outside the chord changes? I think of it as spice. It can add a lot to a meal, but you don't eat a plateful of paprika, do you? LOL

Dissonance is cool if used right! But soon or later you gotta resolve..... or it ain't music.. at least that's what Leonard Bernstein thought.

I do have to say that some music is so bland and generic I can hardly listen to it, and part of the problem is lack of harmonic spice... or rhythmic, but that's another topic!

Archived