Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Thank You DSI! Customer Service Appreciation

tarkus

After a few moves over the last year, my Mono Evolver keyboard started to go on the fritz...

As with most of the common complaints - the encoders were acting up.

Mark Kono at DSI was quick to respond and very helpful with his advice and instruction.

They also sent me just enough DEOXIT to remedy the Encoder problems. :cool:

NOw - i don't need to contact Korg to understand why the encoder wheel on the triton is also acting-up.

Cheers!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me add my experience: When I got my MEK from the States, I had a number of doubts about several matters, and I wrote DSI service seven or eight times. They were always quick and efficient in responding and clarifying things for me. They sent me the de-oxit and a few spare encoder caps overseas, for free. More important, they were always competent and ready to suggest the right move. My hat is off to DSI.

So is De-Oxit a remedy for the wonky encoders?

One of mine blast the presets from1 to 128 with the slightest of movement.

same here.

De-Oxit worked.

Here's what Kono told me:

Applying the Deoxit involves removing the panel boards to treat the encoders. It is relatively easy, and requires nothing more than a screwdriver.

To open your Mono Evolver Keyboard, first remove all the knobs by pulling straight up. They are snug, but they just slide on and off. Next remove the 4 screws on the top panel as well as the 7 going across the back. Once inside, pop off the ribbon cable by hand and remove the 6 screws holding each board with the funky encoders. Here is a link with detailed instructions on treating the encoders, as well as a picture showing you exactly where to drop the Deoxit:

http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/support/mek_maintenance.php

---

I can upgrade later if it goes bonkers again.

Applying a small dose of de-oxit from the outside also works generally, although they don't recommend it. I was also told (by some other tech) to not exceed with the amount of de-oxit, to ensure a longer life to the encoders.

Its only a temporary fix though... I did the same with my Oberheim Matrix 12. Lasts for about a year and then its back to as it was or worse (in the Matrix case none of the encoders worked). I got so fed up with the PolyEvolver I switched to the pot upgrade and have had no problems...

Archived