Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bargain Laptop for "On the Go" Composing?

Hey y'all. I've got a friend who's got a friend (you know that story) who buys older laptops at auctions, refurbishes them and resells them for cheap! Pentium III, 256 mB memory, 30 gig HD, CD player only but two USB ports, undoubtably USB 1.1. I'm thinking about grabing one of these and a USB audio/midi interface to take travelling. I know newer technology is better but the price is right! Anyone got any comments?

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

ME: "Nobody knows the troubles I've seen!"

Unknown Voice: "The Shadow do!"

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey Mats. It is Win98 OS. Cost less that $400 US including carry case. I'll need to find an AC adapter. I think they are Compaqs.

Notebooks wear out. I'm using one now that's about 3 years old, that I use every day for work. The hard drive makes weird noises; the display sometimes turns off for no reason; the battery can't last more than 45 minutes any more without a charge. I'd consider getting a brand new notebook--a bottom-of-the-line Athlon or something. It will cost you maybe $600 but it should at least last you a few years. Just my $.02...

Actually not a bad deal. $250 - $350 is the average. You may be able to find a better deal at: [url=http://www.tigerdirect.com]TigerDirect.com[/url] [url=http://www.notebookmall.com/]The Notebook Mall[/url] [url=http://www.expresscomputerindia.com/]Cheap Laptop Computer Deals[/url] For computers for light sequencing, MIDI and the like.

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

I do a lot of "on the go composing" - every day - and my platform of choice is Logic on a G4 Powerbook. The new iBooks are more powerful than the system that I've been lugging around for three years, so I would wholeheartedly recommend one. I tried for years to set up a similar system on my Dell, but it was one hassle after another. iBook + Logic = Productivity

The Black Knight always triumphs!

I called Dell this AM to see what they had to offer. They advertise a new P4 w/ 20gb HD and 256 mb mem. for $599 after rebate. I wanted to see what an upgrade to a 30gb drive and 512 mem and it turned out to be closer to $1,000. Seemed a bit much for no more power and storage than I wanted to upgrade to. I've never worked on a Mac and I don't think I want to learn a new OS and recording application. Right now I use PT and Sonar. But I don't need anything full featured just to record ideas. Something simple will do. I may go with the Omega interface and it ships with a simple multi track recording app. I may wait a couple more months when the Christmas gift frenzy is over and the PC manufacturers are a bit more likely to offer a little more to make a sale. Thanks y'all.

Archived