Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

new gear connection help

ArnoldLayne

I just bought a new amp (Crown XTi 2002) and 2 new monitors (JBL PRX412M) to replace some old worn out gear. The amp has XLR inputs but my Mackie mixer only has 1/4" out.

Any problems using 2 cables L/R with TRS/XLR ends between the Mackie and the Crown? The main outputs on the Mackie say "bal/unbal".

Prophet 6, '38 Hammond BC, HR40, 2 Leslie 760's, Prophet 08 PE, RD700GX, Ensoniq E-Prime, SCI Pro-One, TX-7, CP80, Arturia VI's

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, Mate.

The JBL monitors I have only accept speakon.

I'm talking about from my existing Mackie mixer 1/4" out to the XLR in on the Crown amp.

1/4" TRS to XLR cables are what I want to work but not sure about.

Prophet 6, '38 Hammond BC, HR40, 2 Leslie 760's, Prophet 08 PE, RD700GX, Ensoniq E-Prime, SCI Pro-One, TX-7, CP80, Arturia VI's

Any problems using 2 cables L/R with TRS/XLR ends between the Mackie and the Crown? The main outputs on the Mackie say "bal/unbal".

No, 1/4" TRS to XLR should be fine. If the amp has a mic/line switch, you'll want it on Line. Otherwise, you may need to keep the mixer's main output at a fairly low level.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Thanks, Dan.

I thought it was okay but the whole TS/TRS/balanced/unbalanced/XLR/half-in/insert thing makes my head spin. I can read about it and almost get it - but there's almost no retention.

Thanks, Dan.

I thought it was okay but the whole TS/TRS/balanced/unbalanced/XLR/half-in/insert thing makes my head spin. I can read about it and almost get it - but there's almost no retention.

To clarify:

on a 1/4" bal/unbalanced out, it has a TRS jack with a balanced output. Tip= (+), ring= (-), sleeve= ground. If you plug in a TRS plug, you get the balanced signal. If you plug a TS, it shorts the (-) to ground and you just get the unbalanced (+) and ground. XLR is always balanced.

Inserts are something different. They are never balanced, always unbalanced. They have a switching jack, such that pluging something in all the way "breaks" the signal, so that it doesn't go through the mixer channel. It is TRS, but not balanced...it is "Send" and "Return" with a common ground. Normally, the signal goes out the send to external gear then back in the return to the mixer channel.

The half-in trick works when the ring is the "send" and plugging half in doesn't engage the switching mechanism to break the circuit. In that case, it can act as a direct out without breaking the circuit. Normally, don't worry about this. A decent mixer will usually have a direct out without having to resort to this.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Archived