Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jensen woofers in Leslie's

Gary75

I sold a 145 recently to a dealer. He then proceeded to put it back on EBay at the same price he bought it from me. However, he had removed the woofer and put that on a separate auction advertising it as a P15LL. He wanted half the value of what he's asking for the Leslie! Those silver woofers made by Jensen, are they better than the black ones in some way? I have another silver 'alnico' sitting there, and was wondering if it was worth putting that in my 145 that has a 122 amp in it and black (I presume a later model?) woofer.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I sold a 145 recently to a dealer. He then proceeded to put it back on EBay at the same price he bought it from me. However, he had removed the woofer and put that on a separate auction advertising it as a P15LL. He wanted half the value of what he's asking for the Leslie! Those silver woofers made by Jensen, are they better than the black ones in some way? I have another silver 'alnico' sitting there, and was wondering if it was worth putting that in my 145 that has a 122 amp in it and black (I presume a later model?) woofer.

I´m no Leslie expert, but vintage Alnico speakers bring good money if you sell in good working condition.

Alnico magnets were standard in music equipment ´til mid 60th.

They have their significant sound for the vintage gear enthusiast.

here´s a read for a guitar speaker shootout klonk .

"Jensen" manufactures alnico speakers again since some time.

klonk

Well, Jensen today isn´t Jensen from the past, the new speakers are "made in italy".

So,- the vintage ones have a value.

I myself, I wouldn´t buy any.

My experience w/ the old speakers (incl. JBL D120/D130) was, they didn´t handle high power loads well,- we blew a lot of these in the 70th.

But it might be interesting for a leslie in the/a studio using hi-end mics and console/pre-amps for recording.

A.C.

The P15LL is the most desirable permanet-magnet woofer for Leslies, but there are other drivers that came later that are also excellent when you find a good one, the Jensen C15 ceramic-magnet woofer is also excellent in a Leslie as is the square-magnet Utah found in many later Leslies. Most Jensen P15LL woofers are pretty tired in original condition, they're better after a good recone. If you want a silver AlNiCo P15LL you're better off getting one with a torn or damaged cone for less and having a good speaker shop recone it. The field-coil F15LL used in many early Leslies also is much better when reconed.

TP

---

Todd A. Phipps

"...no, I'm not a Hammondoholic...I can stop anytime..."

http://www.facebook.com/b3nut ** http://www.blueolives.com

Archived