Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Are there any ipod-like devices that will record?

The quality of the sound is secondary here. This will be recording voice in a Buddhist temple. They have RE-20's for the teacher and translator, and will be recording a feed from a Mackie mixer. They have one setup already working. A little blue aluminum converter puts out optical spdif which goes into a Creative Nomad MP3 player. For some reason this works well for them and they want to do more of it. The combined cost of the converter and Nomad is close to $600. I'm thinking there's got to be a better way, using a single device. It all gets dumped to computer for editing later, so format isn't a big deal. They don't have a laptop, and setting up a computer in the temple is not an option. The simpler the better - monks may have to run it. Any wizbang ideas?
Rubber Lizard Studio

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The iRiver iHP-100 (10 Gig HD, no mic level input) and the iHP-120 (20 GIG, has external mic level input) could be possibilities. I believe they each have analog and digital line level inputs. They also record in uncompressed wav format if they so desire as well as MP3 at various bit rates. The unit shows up as a hard drive under windows - not sure about mac.

I just bought my GF an iRiver for Christmas. [img]http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/5446/5446975_ra.jpg[/img] She wanted something small for running that would not get in her way or skip. I have a feeling that I may be using it and that it will become a point of contention within a couple of weeks. ;) - DJDM

The iPod does record, FWIW, you just need to attach an [url=http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=201526&pcount=&Product_Id=158384]Belkin Voice Recorder[/url] to it. If quality doesn't matter then perhaps that is a good solution? (BTW their site says they are not available yet, but I'm pretty sure you can pick one up at an Apple store for around $50). The iPod is definitely the nicest and easiest to use portable MP3 player (sorry Lance ;) ) Otherwise, I would use a DAT but that doesn't sound like what you are after.

[quote]Originally posted by salOboscis: [b]The iPod does record, FWIW, you just need to attach an [url=http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=201526&pcount=&Product_Id=158384]Belkin Voice Recorder[/url] to it. If quality doesn't matter then perhaps that is a good solution? (BTW their site says they are not available yet, but I'm pretty sure you can pick one up at an Apple store for around $50). The iPod is definitely the nicest and easiest to use portable MP3 player (sorry Lance ;) ) Otherwise, I would use a DAT but that doesn't sound like what you are after.[/b][/quote]I could definitely be wrong here, but I think the Belikin mic option on the iPod does not let you use other microphones or line inputs, and it will only record in mono (if that matters). It's more of a true "voice recorder," I think.

That I-river unit, the 20-gig one, looks PERFECT. That and a "powered stereo mic" would be a great combination even where no mixer feed was available. I like the fact that it requires no software on the computer. That said, I will re-examine the Nomad III based on Sean's information that it does indeed have a line in. Also, I was hoping to use Pyro 2004 for editing the resulting files. Pyro is supposed to work as an interface to such devices... Sean, anybody, do you think Pyro might work or should I be looking at some other software, given that the files will be mp3's and not wav? I'm pickin yer brains, pickin yer brains...
Rubber Lizard Studio

[quote]Originally posted by Mark LaCoste: [b]That I-river unit, the 20-gig one, looks PERFECT. That and a "powered stereo mic" would be a great combination even where no mixer feed was available.[/b][/quote]I'm considering the same purchase. There is an active internet forum on iRiver's international site where people post lots of pros and cons. You may want to check it out: [url=http://www.iriver.com/community/discussion_new.asp?mode=Total]iRiver Forum[/url]

[quote]Originally posted by Phil B: [b]I could definitely be wrong here, but I think the Belikin mic option on the iPod does not let you use other microphones or line inputs, and it will only record in mono (if that matters). It's more of a true "voice recorder," I think.[/b][/quote]That's correct. I missed the bit about the line out from the Mackie mixer. Sorry, my bad.

Archived