Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Google Nexus 7

nickd

Anyone seen this announcement? Looks like a low price (Android) competitor to the iPad

Review of the new device here: Guardian Nexus 7 review

7 inch screen, Wifi only, 8GB version is £159 (UK), $199 (US).

Wonder if this will be a good iPad alternative for simple live music stuff? At this price it's almost worth it only to use for MIDI control / patch changes.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it will largely depend on what apps are already there and/or will appear. But even just for lyrics this could be a good buy and a device you could significantly more afford to lose or break than a £400 iPad. However, since I've already got one of those, not for me.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Since I am firmly in the "anything but Apple" camp, I encourage Android-based products and imagine that it won't be long before there is virtually no difference between the two in function. The apps will come, just as they did on the PC. Oh, and the Android product will be half the price.

There's a few MIDI controllers already in Google Play. I haven't used any of them though so can't comment on them. The Nexus 7 includes microUSB which might be useful.

As a tablet it's obviously aiming straight at the Kindle Fire, and with it's straight-up Android 4.1 OS (as opposed to Amazon's heavily modified version), improved screen resolution, quad core processor, and the inclusion of a camera and mic it''s a big step up. They're going to sell boatloads of them at $199, which is really impulse purchase territory.

I like cheap Android tablets. I have a 5" Samsung, which is my constant companion since it fits in my front jeans pocket. I have no data contract, so I use if tor all kinds of casual stuff - texting, Facebook, Tango, taking pics and video, email, news, and even watching football and other sporting events if there's no TV around. Public wifi is everywhere.

If Google make a 5" version I'm in.

The article mentions the transformation of Android Market to Google Play, and for those of us with Android tablets it was just weird. Android Market suddenly just disappeared as a widget without warning.

I remember looking at my screen and wondering "where'd it go?" I actually had to Google it to discover that it had been replaced.

It's a reminder of who is ultimately in control of these things.

The iPhone celebrates its 5th Anniversary tomorrow. The king is dead! Long live the king!

We are now in the streaming Phablet era. Add Skype and the sub $200 Phablet market rules the day. From the 4.8 inch Galaxy SIII phone to the 7" Nexus.

When these Phablets celebrate their 5th Anniversary they will run Reaper and Cantible and operate as a VST host and DAW.

When these Phablets celebrate their 5th Anniversary they will run Reaper and Cantible and operate as a VST host and DAW.

Hey, I just want it to give me 9 programmable MIDI sliders and a way to manage all my patch changes... I'm easily pleased*

*but if a tablet ever runs VB3, I'm there.

Archived