Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

To AUX SEND or NOT, that is the question ?

I'll try and 'splain my set-up and maybe someone can help with a clever way of doing this. Mackie 1604 VLZ - All Channels Used Up Including Returns. Channels 9 and 10 for DAW. Yamaha DSPF - 8in/out basically an 02R on a sound card. With 6 AUX SENDS (that could be a good thing, I'll explain later). Right now, I am monitoring everything "Audio" coming out of Cubase on two "summed" DSPF OUT channels into two input channels on the Mackie 1604 VLZ. Channels 9 and 10. "Control Room monitor." For headphone monitoring while tracking AUXES 1&2 are sent "prefader" to the headphone amp. "Headphone monitor." No problem, so far. Except, when the singer needs more "V" and the only way I can give him more Volume is to turn up EVERYTHING coming from Cubase.(Channels 9 and 10 on the Mackie.) That is no good. Sometimes there is ALOT of tracks coming from Cubase. I don't know if I've explained this very well but what is the best way to "have independent monitor (headphone) control vs. control room monitor vs. signal to HD with a set-up like this?" I thought of submixing everything from the Mackie into the DSP Factory on two channels and then using the AUX SENDS on the DSPF for headphone monitor sends but how do I monitor in the Control Room without creating a feedback loop ? Dilemma. Whew !
eightyeightkeys

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well it is not that clear but I'll give it a try anyway : You monitor cubase via stereo channels (9-10 on the macie) Your vocals via cubase throught 9-10 as well. You want to have seperate controll on the vocals while recording? well , if you can aux the submix from the macie to the DSP, then you can sub mix all but 9-10, but I guess if it was so easy you could have figure it out your self. Without really knowing what tools you have, I can offer a work around. Before recording vocals rough mix everything as a stereo track to cubase. Then while recording you'll have: 1 stereo channel and vocals. You can then lower the vol of the stereo channel ... Sure it's a hassle, but it should work ! Of course you can get a patch bay instead, or a bigger mixing desk or... HTH Danny

Rotshtein Danny - Studio Engineer

Jingles show-reel

Visit DarlingNikkie.com To discover the sounds of "Darling Nikkie"(aka Jade 4U). . . .

New exciting project Goddess of Destruction

What you could do is get a headphone amp, like the behringer powerplay, that allows aux ins as well as the mix. Send a direct out or whatever you can to the aux in of the headphone amp, and crank up their vocal at that point without any effect to the mix.
Who keeps moving my chair?

Archived