Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fixing It.

The Bear Jew

Apparently there was a show on the BBC in the late '70s and early '80s called Jim'll Fix it. Basically, it was a "make your dreams come true" sort of show where viewers would write letters requesting that the host, Jim Saville, would "fix it" so that they could do something they desired.

Well, in 1982, a 70-year-old grandmother named May Booker wrote to Jim and asked if Jim could help her play keyboards on TV with her favorite musical group...

Thin Lizzy.

And Jim "fixed it" for her. How awesome is that?

And, not for nothing... she nailed it. Also, Phil Lynott is clearly a sweetheart.

[video:youtube]

I don't know about you, but this gave me a smile this morning.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great video. I guy I used to work with played percussion and he won a contest to appear on stage and play with Santana. He said Carlos was a real prick.

You can see that Lynott is a gentle soul.

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

Yeah. That was rad! Thanks for sharing that smile. My opinion of Thin Lizzy just jumped up a lot.

I'm sure some peon in a Burbank reality tv office is trying to resurrect this show idea, too. :wink:

"Of all the world's bassists, I'm one of them!" - Lug

This is wonderful. I had to watch it twice, and I may have to watch it again. Not only is she nailing the keyboards, she kicks in background vocals!

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/cft3/churchorganist.jpg

I swear it almost looks like a Monty Python bit. And, once again, how great is Phil's afro?

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

I swear it almost looks like a Monty Python bit. And, once again, how great is Phil's afro?

That's so much afro it should be continued on the next dude.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Hey, that could be me in 11 years! :laugh:

Ye gods. It really is only 11 years, isn't it?
Yeah. Sobering. Stone-cold sobering.

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

And perfect timing, as Phil is the cover of the latest BP. Good article on him and the history of Thin Lizzy.
"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

Hey, that could be me in 11 years! :laugh:

Ye gods. It really is only 11 years, isn't it?
Yeah. Sobering. Stone-cold sobering.

Oooops, or me. Eleven years. Is sobering the word? It is my birthday today, so it is easy to count the years :-). Is Jim still in business?

-- Michele Costabile (http://proxybar.net)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Savile

Interesting bloke. A genuine English eccentric. Raised huge amounts of money for charity. Had considerable athletic talent.

Well worth a read - there's a book.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

This was a great view :grin: How many people can say their grandmother played with Thin Lizzy?????

Actually, she would be 100 now so it would be at least great grandmother or great great grandmother. Then again, a few people I knew from school became grandparents before they were 40.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Archived