Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Alesis Quadrasynth display...

Justin Havu

So I powered up the QS today, to play around with it, and part of the display won't show, not even on the highest contrast setting, as shown in the pic...

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k193/justinhavu/Untitled.jpg

Anyone know the cause of this, and if it's fixable or not?

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone know the cause of this, and if it's fixable or not?

Cat pee. (No. I'm not kidding.) :rolleyes:

In the photo, it looks as though the characters are trying to display, but perhaps that's just the contrast setting you're using.

Either the LCD panel needs to be replaced, or...

well, check the ribbon cable.

Dollars to Krispy Kreme donuts it's the LCD panel itself that's gone bad.

(Nom... Krispy Kreme.) :cool:

Good luck, Justin!

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I turned the contrast all the way up to better show the problem I'm having. I'll check the cable and see if that is the issue.

Anyone know where to get a replacement LCD panel, or do I need to find another Quadrasynth for parts?

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

And no, we don't have any cats in the place at all, so I can rule out cat pee.

Hardware

Software

I turned the contrast all the way up to better show the problem I'm having. I'll check the cable and see if that is the issue.

Anyone know where to get a replacement LCD panel, or do I need to find another Quadrasynth for parts?

It could be the LCD panel.

It could be the ribbon cable or connection.

Or, it could be the circuitry that produces the characters that are sent to the LCD panel.

In other words, if you replace the LCD panel and it turns out to be something else, you won't be happy.

If it's consistent - meaning, if it's the same pixel locations that fail every single time, then let's hope that the problem is the ribbon cable/connector. Usually, in an LCD panel such as this one, I doubt the pixels themselves are the problem. (That's my second guess.)

If you open the keyboard up and find that the ribbon cable/connector is fine, my bet would be that something in the character-generation circuitry has failed. (...my third guess.)

Are you SURE that you don't have wandering felines in your neighborhood that drop by to visit.

I hear there are many of these in Maine. In fact, the state of Maine has designated it's own:

http://jtucker.mystudentsite.net/joomla/images/stories/riley-maine-coon-cat.jpg

Cat pee is STILL my first guess! :sick:

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Haha! We have one stray cat hanging around the neighborhood, but he hasn't gotten in here, thank GOD!!

I checked the ribbon cable, and it looks fine to me--no loose connections. And yes--it's consistent. Keyboard powers up with the same missing characters.

My next problem would be where to find such parts to get it working properly again. eBay doesn't really have anything, and when they do, the prices are usually stupid expensive.

Hardware

Software

Justin- the bigger problem is troubleshooting without a repair manual or schematic.

No. I'm wrong. The biggest problem may be finding the parts.

If it is consistent, I imagine there is a problem with a particular IC that controls character generation in the display.

Again - it could be the LCD panel itself, but how do you determine this for sure? (Other than buying another LCD panel and replacing the part.)

Maybe someone else who knows much more than I will chime in to help you.

Best of luck!

Tom

Try posting on this forum:

http://www.synthman.com/quadrasynth/qs-forum/qs-forum.html

Here is a response to your question from that forum:

I believe that info is also in the Archive here as I used it to replace one for a friend of mine last year. About $20 and and hour or two of work.

-=Steve

: You might want to join the 1alesis_qs_series list at yahoo groups, there was a subject on how to replace the LED display some years ago with pics and all.

: Hope this helps.

: David C.

Tom

That link unfortunately saves as an HTML document, I'll unfortunately have to try it in IE.

Hardware

Software

As soon as I can scrape some extra cash together, I'm going to try replacing the ribbon cable, since it seems to be easier to track down one of those, than tracking down a display.

Hardware

Software

I hear there are many of these in Maine. In fact, the state of Maine has designated it's own:

http://jtucker.mystudentsite.net/joomla/images/stories/riley-maine-coon-cat.jpg

My Maine Coon is this cat's cousin. He's not quite this big, but he can stand on his back legs and see over the kitchen counter top.

I have purchased a backlight from Telesis for my K2000.

Mark, I don't think they stock/carry the LCD panel itself, just the backlight.

Anyway, the guy who runs this business is fine to work with. No problems.

Tom

I don't think they stock/carry the LCD panel itself, just the backlight.

Yeah, that's what I thought. But let it be known that if I ever need a backlight, I'll be buying from them.

Hardware

Software

I have purchased a backlight from Telesis for my K2000.

Mark, I don't think they stock/carry the LCD panel itself, just the backlight.

Anyway, the guy who runs this business is fine to work with. No problems.

Tom

Yeah - I was thinking I replaced the entire display on my Wavestation AD but now recall I sent in the original to Telesis and he replaced only the backlight. Good call Tom and I agree he is a good guy.

• 3 years later...

Hate to resurrect an old thread, but here goes. I never fixed the display on the QS and wound up selling it the first week of May.

Got another one a couple years ago for $200. Display was fine until a couple weeks ago when the same thing happened. I replaced the display to no avail, so my other guess is it could be just a bad ribbon cable. I svengled for the last half hour for a replacement at a reasonable price plus a reasonable shipping cost. I found the replacement cable at Syntaur for around $6 or $7, but the shipping calculated at $16. Now, that's a bit ridiculous seeing as the replacement display I bought from them for $70 only cost $6 to ship. I tried Instrumental Parts, to no avail. Any other leads?

Hardware

Software

Does it have to be an exact replacement? Seems to me ribbon cables are pretty standardized in terms of connectors and such. Maybe you can find a generic one with the right connectors that's close in length. Maybe try Digikey.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

so my other guess is it could be just a bad ribbon cable.

Just a thought- did you try re-seating the ribbon cable on both ends? Like you said at this point it's just a guess. Also if you have a multi-meter/ohm meter it would be easy to check continuity from one end of the ribbon to the other on every pin. If you pursue this make sure to do so with power off.

Yep. Tried re-seating the cable on both ends. No multimeter handy.

Hardware

Software

Here's a pic of the one from Syntaur. Can't really tell if that's a standardized connector.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k193/justinhavu/4428-Lg.jpg

Hardware

Software

If you have any local stores with used computer parts or general electronics, try taking your cable in and matching it up. Some of these places have bins full of miscellaneous ribbon cables you can go through.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

The first one looks right to me. Order placed.

Hardware

Software

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: No dice.

Replaced the ribbon cable, tried it on both the original display, and its replacement, to no avail. Now, I'm thinking it's something on the main board. That's something I don't want to mess with as my soldering skills leave a bit to be desired, especially with surface-mounted components. Sucks, because it's one of my main gigging boards, and due to my conditions, I'm unable to work a regular job to support myself, let alone fund a replacement.

Hardware

Software

Yeah, sorry about that Justin-but I think it was worth a shot. At this point I think your next best bet is the display panel ( as others have already indicated) . But as you know it comes with a higher cost risk if it turns out to be something else. I would at least try to find out what it would cost including labor so you can make an informed decision.

I guess another option would be to find a replacement main board. As I said, I have two different display panels, and it's doing the same thing on both of them. I've tried replacing the ribbon cable, as well as swapping out the display with a new one. So I'm thinking that it's something with the main board.

Hardware

Software

• 2 weeks later...
UPDATE--Still no dice. Replaced the main board, and tried both displays and both ribbon cables. Still to no avail. Maybe the display isn't getting enough power?? Not sure where to go from here. I really don't want to find a replacement, unless it's another Quadrasynth, because I really love this board.

Hardware

Software

Archived