Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Amusing Trent Reznor quote

[quote]Originally posted by felix.: [b]Looks like the quote was in reference to NIN's upcoming release. Here's what I found, apparently from Music Express: NINE INCH NAILS TITLE: bleedthrough (NOTHING) EXPECT IT: "Soon." "The record explores loss and possible discovery of self," says Trent Reznor about the follow-up to 1999's The Fragile, "along with alternate layers of reality and perception set inside a nightmare you can't seem to wake up from; with lots of feedback." Reznor has enlisted Atticus Ross, Jerome Dillon, Leo Herrera, mix engineer Rich Costey and Rick Rubin to help mold bleedthrough, which will feature new songs such as "The Line Begins To Blur," "Everyday Is Exactly The Same" and "My Dead Friend." This time out, Reznor is introducing high-tech to low-life. "Computers, among other things, are ruining music these days," he says. "I hate the Pro Tooled sound of perfection and everything being 'fixed.' This record is most definitely 'un-fixed.'" And when it comes to touring behind the release, T. Rez is planning on reinventing the will. "It won't be the last tour over again. That person isn't here anymore." Trent always gives great quotes! I'm skeptical about how "un-fixed" the CD really will be, though. Can't wait to hear it, un-fixed or not.[/b][/quote]Yep, that was the one.

"And then you have these thoughts in the back of your mind like 'Why am I doing this? Or is this a figment of my imagination?'"

http://www.veracohr.com

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll also buy the new album "sound-unheard." You can learn a lot about making records just by listening to what Trent Reznor is doing. If you can get past his brooding, angry self-pity/self-hate/domination/suicide psychosis (or if that kind of thing actually interests you, as it does me), Trent Reznor has a lot to offer, musically and production-wise.

I suppose analog editing is OK, then? Cutting tape is a very old practice. It's essentially the same thing as digital editing, in concept. Bitches Brew was pieced together this way. Does that mean that Teo Macero is responsible for killing Miles Davis's music? Quite the contrary, in my opinion.

[quote]Bitches Brew was pieced together this way. Does that mean that Teo Macero is responsible for killing Miles Davis's music? Quite the contrary, in my opinion.[/quote]please explain further...I don't understand what you mean by "pieced together" here [b]EDIT[/b] ( ;) )...ok, I just did a little reading on the subject and see what you mean...I didn't realize there was that much editing on BB until now...thanks for inspiring me to research it. This is of course not the type of editing that I was talking about...I mean, after the edits in the first tune the track plays completely unedited for about 8 minutes. Regardless, point taken....I never said I was against editing, just that people use it as a cheap crutch. Sure people cut tape when necessary but it wasn't common in the past to construct an entire drumtrack that way. What [b]was[/b] common (and doesn't seem to be lately) is hiring really good drummers to come in and nail the song in a take or two. But yeah fine, digital editing isn't the problem...it's just another tool that overly nitpicky and/or perfectionist producers use...more often than not it takes the life out of the music. Semantics but you're right. P.S. I have digitally edited my tracks before so I'm not looking down on anyone but I don't do it regularly and avoid it whenever possible.

[quote]Originally posted by Nibnob: [b]I suppose analog editing is OK, then? Cutting tape is a very old practice. It's essentially the same thing as digital editing, in concept. [/b][/quote]Exactly, but nowadays, why cut a piece of (very expensive) tape and paste it back with scotch tape in a destructive way when there's digital editing? Lets never forget that producing a record is creating an illusion... a sonic illusion. Imagine a movie without editing... it would be as bad as... say... Bjork's "Dancer int he Dark" (just kidding... hehehe). I understand that the abuse of editing may be taking the life and the musicality of the interpretations, though.

Who Put The ' M ' In MySpace?

don\'t_click | day_job

Archived