Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Amusing Trent Reznor quote

The other day on the radio I hear about a new Nine Inch Nails album coming soon, and a quote from Trent Reznor about how "computers are killing music". Funny, I don't think Nine Inch Nails would exist without computers!

"And then you have these thoughts in the back of your mind like 'Why am I doing this? Or is this a figment of my imagination?'"

http://www.veracohr.com

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by offramp: [b]Does he even matter anymore?[/b][/quote]I guess we'll find out when his new album comes out!

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

That IS pretty funny! :D That said, I do think that he creates really great music with computers, something that's sonically fascinating, but would agree that a lot of music is being killed dead because of recording on computers. And yes, I record on a computer, too...

And what's with the long time between albums? The guy's become the Tom Scholz of industrial music.

Being a [b]HUMONGOUS[/b] NIN fan I have this to say in reply: Yes it's quite ironic he said that. I read a similiar Trent quote at my NIN message board recently an thought "wha.....?" As for albums taking a long time, it's commonly understood that it took him 5 years to release 'the fragile'. Though he spent 2 years touring, 1 year working on other things I believe... and 2 years on the album. I'm not sure how much NIN/Trent matters to his fans but he is a huge influence on me and his music was the catalyst for me getting started with a keyboard again.

In the name of Trent Reznor, we should kill all computers! Actually, I do like NIN. But we should still kill our computers. Just saw T3.... Michael Oster [url=http://www.F7sound.com]F7 Sound and Vision[/url] [url=http://www.regurgitron.com]ReGurgiTron[/url]

[quote]Originally posted by DanS: [b]How is recording on a computer killing music?[/b][/quote]I don't think recording on a computer is killing music. I think the opposite is happening. There are more pepole now than ever before that are making and RECORDING music. Now if Trent had said recording on a computer is killing "the recording industry," then he might be on to something. My 2-bit analogy. Sonny Bono had some talent. He could kinda play the piano. He kinda had some good ideas. But could he have made a record by himself? No. He had to find: a producer; a financeer; a pool of talented musicians etc. etc. etc. He helped keep an entire industry alive. The Sonnny Bono's of today pay Apple, MOTU and Memorex a few grand and they can make a record. I know that's a lot of generalizing, but I hope you see my point. Frank

[quote]Originally posted by Veracohr: [b]The other day on the radio I hear about a new Nine Inch Nails album coming soon, and a quote from Trent Reznor about how "computers are killing music". Funny, I don't think Nine Inch Nails would exist without computers![/b][/quote]:D I like NIN. I'm not a HUMONGOUS fan, though. Quick question for the NIN fans: does Trent dumps his stuff on some sort of tape? Anything analog? "Save the music, smash a computer" :p :wave:

Who Put The ' M ' In MySpace?

don\'t_click | day_job

That really doesn't surprise me. Reznor isn't as much as computer musician as he is a synth musician. He likes a 'grainy' sound. I think going straight digital would be too 'cold' sounding for him. He would probably want the analog. I'm guessing, but if you listen to his music it is synthetic but not really 'digital' sounding.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

heh heh my early computer music experiences (SID chip to Rebirth) led me to learn instruments (drums to digeridoo to turntables) and study to be an engineer (Conservatorium). i generally feel comments like "blah blah is killing muuuusssiiiic!!!!" are desperate cries from someone WELL out of the current sphere of success. on SOME level people who say things like that are a little desperate moreso then pissed off. but to balance my thoughts out, ive no doubt trent will have many fans for a long time. bores the pants off of me for the most post, though i remember enjoying one of his albums. oh and the soundtrack to QUAKE that he did was great.

I'm pretty sure he meant digital editing, not recording on computers in general. And actually, I think his music has gotten a little less sequenced and more live playing as time goes on, but perhaps I'm wrong. I didn't like the Fragile, so I only listened to it a couple times. I suppose it's possible he doesn't do much editing, except for all his remix things like Fixed and Further Down the Spiral.

"And then you have these thoughts in the back of your mind like 'Why am I doing this? Or is this a figment of my imagination?'"

http://www.veracohr.com

[quote]Originally posted by Super 8: [b]I can see where computers could be killing music. Actually, it's more of the 'use' of computers. People have more and more tools at their disposal and go overboard with them. Maybe that is what he's talking about. I dunno.[/b][/quote]That could be. Like any new technology, most go overboard with the fact that it CAN be used for all sorts of applications, but it takes a while until the truth comes out that something might not be the best thing to USE in certain applications. If you can figure out all that blather... I couldn't name a NIN tune to save my life. So I couldn't comment on how this applies to Mr. Reznor. But that offhand generalization of his does have some merit. Whitefang
I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I've written and recorded with and without computers, and the computer stuff wins out hands down. I've read a few Rezner interviews but I haven't heard any NIN yet. Am I missing anything?
You shouldn't chase after the past or pin your hopes on the future.

I think the "best of NIN" is subjective but I don't consider PHM his best, personally. You mentioned you haven't yet heard any NIN, I'll give you some recommendations that cover different moods. NIN is somewhat diverse. These are song titles not albums by the way: 1. The Day The Whole World Went Away (from The Fragile) 2. Closer (a hit, from The Downward Spiral) 3. Eraser (from The Downward Spiral) 4. La Mer (beautiful piano etc piece from The Fragile) 5. Sanctified (from Pretty Hate Machine) also for audio clips of pretty much every song go to [url=http://www.FYE.com]www.FYE.com[/url] Also I am not sure if Trent has ever went to tape because I simply don't know... I've read mentions of Studer's and Neve's and honestly I have no idea what these are but maybe you do.. so if that has anything to do with tape, uh... there's an emporium of articles and interviews that may give insight here: http://www.theninhotline.net/archives/articles I would think Trent is just getting jaded from using computers so much. "The Fragile" explored outside of that boundary some and I don't blame him for wanting to try something different (for him).

[quote]Originally posted by bluestrat: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Raymar: [b]I've read a few Rezner interviews but I haven't heard any NIN yet. Am I missing anything?[/b][/quote]YES! Check out [b]Pretty Hate Machine[/b]. It's the best of NIN, IMO.[/b][/quote]That's probably accurate. I like his stuff, but "Head Like a Hole" from Pretty Hate Machine just really stands out. Just a really cool song. [i]"Bow down before the one you serve, you're gonna get what you deserve"[/i] I love that line! I have a cover of it that Devo did, and is equally cool if not a bit more deranged sounding. :cool:

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

[quote]Originally posted by Veracohr: [b]The other day on the radio I hear about a new Nine Inch Nails album coming soon, and a quote from Trent Reznor about how "computers are killing music". Funny, I don't think Nine Inch Nails would exist without computers![/b][/quote]Funny - I thought Trent was intentionally using his computers to kill his music. I mean that in the best possible way. Here's a guy who enjoys taking samples down to 4-bit resolution just to mess 'em up real good. I'd like to see the quote in context and see what else he had to say. Trent's good for bizarre quotes. I remember reading an interview with him where he said he had recently attended an Erika Badu concert, and the whole audience was singing along with her songs, and he thought his next release would be pop, because he wanted his audience singing along like that. This was a year or two before The Fragile came out. Pretty Hate Machine rocked my world when it came out. I'd never heard synth music rock so hard, or heard so many different styles (electronic, rock, rap, dance) slammed together so well. I liked The Downward Spiral and The Fragile both a great deal as well. The only thing that I'd change with NIN is how long I have to wait for a new release.

[quote]Originally posted by offramp: [b]Does he even matter anymore?[/b][/quote]If you're buying [url=http://www.idsoftware.com]DOOM III[/url] when it comes out, then yes, it does. He did the music for that game. He also worked on the Quake I music and sound effects. As for his music alone? I don't think he matters much currently, though I'll admit that he has influenced a lot of groups over the last decade or so.

[quote]Originally posted by felix.: Pretty Hate Machine rocked my world when it came out. I'd never heard synth music rock so hard, or heard so many different styles (electronic, rock, rap, dance) slammed together so well. I liked The Downward Spiral and The Fragile both a great deal as well. [/quote]That was such an enormous influence on my music when playing with bands and obviously to a LOT of different people. Very influential record. The live show in support of that tour in 1990 rocked really hard, but had a great deal of NUANCE and FEELING and DYNAMICS, not just noise or loudness for the sake of it. I've rarely seen that kind of unabashed chaos unleashed anywhere. Completely cathartic and contagious.

Looks like the quote was in reference to NIN's upcoming release. Here's what I found, apparently from Music Express: NINE INCH NAILS TITLE: bleedthrough (NOTHING) EXPECT IT: "Soon." "The record explores loss and possible discovery of self," says Trent Reznor about the follow-up to 1999's The Fragile, "along with alternate layers of reality and perception set inside a nightmare you can't seem to wake up from; with lots of feedback." Reznor has enlisted Atticus Ross, Jerome Dillon, Leo Herrera, mix engineer Rich Costey and Rick Rubin to help mold bleedthrough, which will feature new songs such as "The Line Begins To Blur," "Everyday Is Exactly The Same" and "My Dead Friend." This time out, Reznor is introducing high-tech to low-life. "Computers, among other things, are ruining music these days," he says. "I hate the Pro Tooled sound of perfection and everything being 'fixed.' This record is most definitely 'un-fixed.'" And when it comes to touring behind the release, T. Rez is planning on reinventing the will. "It won't be the last tour over again. That person isn't here anymore." Trent always gives great quotes! I'm skeptical about how "un-fixed" the CD really will be, though. Can't wait to hear it, un-fixed or not.

I'm buying the CD soon as it comes out, I don't need to preview any material. I have this faith I'll like it. His work on Quake 1 soundtrack was just great... it's inspiring me alot (I'm trying, lol) - very atmospheric, fun to play the game to but even nice to just listen to (maybe I'm weird). Trent did drop out on the Doom 3 project, however I am not sure if they scrapped all of his work, or if he finished it or... -shrugs-

Archived