Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Things I have learned by watching my videos

Ross Brown

Watching a video of your playing can be a great tool for improvement. I notice some things I want to work on to improve:

Either print the set list bigger or put it closer and not on the floor. I spend too much time looking at it while playing because I can;t see it well. Looks like I am squinting at the floor.

No matter how much I move on stage, it feels like more movement than it looks.

My beard makes me look naturally like I am not smiling even when I am. Need to do things to look like I am having fun (I almost always am haiving fun)

If I am going to turn and make an adjustment to my amp setting, don't spend a long time just staring at the amp.... Sh*t or get off the pot.

What have you learned from watching video of your performance?

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've said this before, and I learned way back in the days of high school musicals I was in...over accentuate everything. For somebody to notice something in the back row, you have to overdo it by about 10 times. Instead of nodding your head, thrash it about 2 feet and get your body into it. It feels really stupid and awkward at first, but once you're used to doing it, and let go of the self-consciousness, it gets to be more natural.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

For me, it's better to be seen and not heard.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

....If I am going to turn and make an adjustment to my amp setting, don't spend a long time just staring at the amp....

I noticed that in the video of Crossroads. I wondered what you were doing, especially since I didn't hear any difference after you changed settings.

I don't think I even changed anything.... Just wandered around off stage after that for a moment.... I look disconnected... dumb... just dumb...

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

My right shoulder tenses up and rises higher than my left. I need to focus on keeping it relaxed and paying attention to the position of the instrument.

Ross, don't wear white sneakers with an all-black outfit. Seriously.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Ross, don't wear white sneakers with an all-black outfit. Seriously.

Thanks SW. I couldn't tell if they were cool or dorky.... I may have my answer. I appreciate it.

Watching a video of your playing can be a great tool for improvement. I notice some things I want to work on to improve:

Either print the set list bigger or put it closer and not on the floor. I spend too much time looking at it while playing because I can;t see it well. Looks like I am squinting at the floor.

No matter how much I move on stage, it feels like more movement than it looks.

My beard makes me look naturally like I am not smiling even when I am. Need to do things to look like I am having fun (I almost always am haiving fun)

If I am going to turn and make an adjustment to my amp setting, don't spend a long time just staring at the amp.... Sh*t or get off the pot.

What have you learned from watching video of your performance?

First off...

I generally dislike set lists because they're just another thing to forget/lose/steal your focus while onstage. I like to just memorize the set. However, I know that doesn't work for everyone, so... check this out... Print your set list in large white letters on a black background. Yes, it uses a lot of printer ink, but it makes the text a lot easier to read.... even if it's sitting on the floor in low-light situations.

Have fun while you play, but don't force it. Do it in a way that feels natural to you. You don't have to do parkour all over the stage to be a good performer. You'll find the right thing to do in time.

Your beard is sweet. I forbid you to shave or change it.

Fixing your amp settings... yeah... that's one of those things you need to do quickly and efficiently. No advice about that... just figure out what you need to do and make it happen quickly.

As for me, I've definitely learned to mitigate some of the things I've mentioned above:

I move as much as I want to move onstage. If it's not a lot sometimes, then it's not a lot. The key for me is to be focused. I've seen a lot of video of myself by now. I think I used to try too hard to be visually compelling by being active. As I get older, I find I care less about moving around and more about focusing and digging into the music. The more recent video footage I've seen has me convinced that this is the right way for me to go. I do see that I tend to move my hands away from my instrument more often now to emphasize elements in the music. I guess that's a double-edged sword--on one hand, it feels right to do that, but, on the other... it may look odd. I figure it's a phase for me right now, and I'm not going to over-analyze it as long as I don't get douche-chills when I see video footage of myself doing this.

Amp adjustments... I usually don't have to do those while I'm playing, and even if I did, I probably wouldn't be able to make it happen without screwing up... At any given time, I'm playing guitar, doing vocals or working my theremin onstage... I don't have a lot of freedom to mess with my amp. So, I work to make sure everything is groovy before I start playing. If it's not, I just have to deal with it for a little while until I can make a quick turn and fix it. On the plus side, after dealing with it for a bit, I know exactly what's wrong, so I know what knob to move and where to move it.

The other thing I learned is that I'm still dead sexy. That will probably never change.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

I always tape the set list on the back of the PA speaker, which is usually in front of me and at eye level so I just need to take a quick look at it without turning around or craning my neck somehow. Other guys in the band can see it too.
"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

I'd rather be heard and not seen. :rimshot:

There's a video floating out there somewhere of the last New Year's Eve service I played (2010). I have yet to see it and not sure I want to after reading through this dialog. The number of things that are probably wrong is mind boggling.

"Of all the world's bassists, I'm one of them!" - Lug

The things you read here....

Nicklab:

Don't film yourself having sex.

Closely followed by Sweets:

My right shoulder tenses up and rises higher than my left. I need to focus on keeping it relaxed and paying attention to the position of the instrument.

Now you are all struggling with that mental picture I'll return to the topic...

Videos of yourself on stage are useful, if toe-curlingly embarrassing. In my mind I'm a lithe 20-year-old radiating enthusiasm, energy and general Rock-God awesomeness.

The camera has other ideas, however. It decides to show my Dad, a fat old bloke with no hair, standing stock still and looking lost, like a tourist who's accidentally wandered into the wrong side of town.

And as for the bass-faces...

Graham

www.talkingstrawberries.com - for rocking' blues, raw and fresh!

Luv this thread.

Interaction with the audience is key. I think smiling and making eye contact with the audience is critical to their enjoyment of the show whether you jump around or not. But jumping around is great...just another way to interact and show that you are actually enjoying yourself...but please don't do it at the expense of the music.

I personally don't like to watch myself on vid. I think most people are too overly critical of themselves. I know I am. I tend to focus to much on the instrument on songs I am not as confident on. I do think it's important to look like you are enjoying what you are doing though...that's number 1.

Cheers!

Chris

I just had a performance video'd this past Saturday night. I always play sitting down so no dancing issues--but I did notice I tend to rock about like Stevie Wonder when I'm getting into the music. I was reading charts so I had no direct interaction with the audience during the performance. However, the video has proven quite disturbing to me in that it shows my fretting hand fingers flailing about far more than I ever thought they did. Here I am preaching to my students about the evils of "fly-away fingers" and I'm one of the worst offenders I've ever seen. Quite humbling.

The groove is in the spaces.

I'd rather be heard and not seen. :rimshot:

If you have ever heard my "playing", you would realize that even if I was Quasimoto's ugly, more hunchbacked sister with rotten teeth, my original statement would still be true. :(

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Archived